Congratulation, Britain!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ummm .....politiking on BCUK? Surely not!
Simmer down boys, any excuse for a celebratory drink or two and leave the cynicism and snipping for others.
Even if you don't believe in royalty..... it's a baby. ....Always a great event even for the lowliest peasant in the land.
If you have no interest in a birth get on with whatever you do to amuse yourself and don't criticise something a baby of a few hours of life has not chosen for itself and has no words to say about it to defend itself...... jeez!
Incidently I'm neither royalist or roundhead.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
He is a Captain, a Military title, which can be used in civilian life, in fact it is the lowest military rank that can be referred to in civilian life, and not to be confused with Captain Birds-Eye.

Referring to the Queen or Monarch..................the Monarch in the UK has no powers whatsoever, but does carry out Civil duties , such as opening parliament, signing new Laws etc, and does so as a matter of respect and courtesy on both sides, and is in fact subsidised by the State, due to a past agreement,whereby the Monarchy gave up their rights,

Her Majesty’s actual rights as a Queen are only three:
  • The right to be consulted by the Prime Minister
  • To encourage certain courses of action
  • To warn against others
.In all matters the Queen has to act impartially, and does so without favour,.members of the Royal Family are usually castigated if they put forward their views, especially if they seem controversial, such as Prince Charles when he has described some of the modern architecture as being" a carbuncle on the landscape", and of course their behaviour in public life.
The Royal Family are seen as an asset to the UK, and indeed do bring in a lot of visitors to the UK, who come to watch the pageantry, weddings, and other aspects of Royal Life.

Reactions: Toddy and Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Not to mention the droves that come to London to see the B. Palace, the Guards, stuff like that.

Muchos Dineros are spent in UK because of the Windsors!

They are Britains best asset, imho.
I say that as a foreigner, not one with a British passport, living in a British territory!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ummm .....politiking on BCUK? Surely not!

It's a rare experiment :) and it's not really politics per se.

Simmer down boys, any excuse for a celebratory drink or two and leave the cynicism and snipping for others.
Even if you don't believe in royalty..... it's a baby. ....Always a great event even for the lowliest peasant in the land.
If you have no interest in a birth get on with whatever you do to amuse yourself and don't criticise something a baby of a few hours of life has not chosen for itself and has no words to say about it to defend itself...... jeez!
Incidently I'm neither royalist or roundhead.

I agree about the baby :D As the saying goes, regardless of the babies parentage, "Ye can get an awful lot worse than a baby". I was pleased to hear the news and that all was well. Archie was a surprise, but, well, why not ?

I don't read the thread as criticising the baby, more that the conversation is discussing, mostly with courtesy (no pun intended) the monarchy vs republicanism, and whether or not the German influence outweighs the British/American elements.
The SNP only got in on the act (again, no pun intended) because their leader in Westminster got the parentage wrong. Thankfully the conversation hasn't devolved (again, no pun intended, this thread's a minefield :rolleyes: ) into the other r's of racism and religion.

On that note, I'm away to put the kettle on.

M

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Somebody got the parentage wrong????
With the amount of media coverage? That is funny. And sad.

The heritage of the baby is wide. But only because we can trace the forefathers and foremothers many generations back ( at least on one side). I am fortunate to be able to trace my heritage very back on one side, and only 300 years on the other, and I can tell you I am just as diverse.
You guys too. Specially as British, with all the trade, Navy, Army here there and everywhere, colonies.....

It is good to be a mix. Being 'pure' is bad news, every farmer knows that!
:)

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Well if you believe in evolution...we are all related, trouble is though if evolution is still taking place...............how come the comedians of today are rubbish compared to the ones in the 50's, 60's,70's etc, Benny Hill, Morecambe and Wise The Two Ronnies, etc, etc,

Reactions: CLEM

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We're just getting old :rolleyes: I can't even make out what they're saying nowadays let alone figure out the joke !
That said, Danny Baker was one I never found to be funny.
I confess I've been listening to Jeanne Robertson recently, and I do find her droll wit funny :) A reviewer said it was humour for old folks....I'm not old yet, but I'd rather laugh at her spiels than the mince that's spouted elsewhere.

p.s. I don't like our new wee rolleyed smilie. It looks more sarcastic and snide than the old one.

Reactions: Fadcode

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Somebody got the parentage wrong????

Nooooo, it's a phrase folks used when the baby's mum and dad weren't married, or had been born to elderly, or too young, parents. Just that things could be an awful lot worse than a baby.

Maybe it's a Brit thing that doesn't translate well to others :dunno:
Woody girl said it, "it's a baby. ....Always a great event even for the lowliest peasant in the land."

Reactions: Janne

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We're just getting old :rolleyes: I can't even make out what they're saying nowadays let alone figure out the joke !
That said, Danny Baker was one I never found to be funny.
I confess I've been listening to Jeanne Robertson recently, and I do find her droll wit funny :) A reviewer said it was humour for old folks....I'm not old yet, but I'd rather laugh at her spiels than the mince that's spouted elsewhere.

p.s. I don't like our new wee rolleyed smilie. It looks more sarcastic and snide than the old one.
I’m rather fond of Jeanne Robertson also.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mellow humour that makes me laugh out loud :D

It's your fault; I tried googling Southern after it came up in another thread, and in my usual butterfly minded fashion I followed link after link after link, and there was Jeanne Robertson :) from the style in New York city (left brain thought it should have been zipped :D ) to the teenage hussy getting the last word. I laughed, and it's still funny.

Isn't the internet wonderful ? :D

M

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mellow humour that makes me laugh out loud :D

It's your fault; I tried googling Southern after it came up in another thread, and in my usual butterfly minded fashion I followed link after link after link, and there was Jeanne Robertson :) from the style in New York city (left brain thought it should have been zipped :D ) to the teenage hussy getting the last word. I laughed, and it's still funny.

Isn't the internet wonderful ? :D

M

Reactions: Toddy
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
So long as they got the Earl of Dumbarton right, that's okay :D Whole other country, y'know ?

Mr Merkel has overseen the most divisive policies in Europe since the last time Germany tried to be in charge :rolleyes:
Funnily enough I still approve of the EU, just that it does need some serious work.

Edward's children are treated as those of an Earl, not a Prince. It seems to have become commonplace now. It's probably easier on the children as they grow up tbh, and a kindness really. Titles haven't really done Andrew's daughters any favours, have they ? and Anne's children and Pricess Margaret's have done without to no harm.

Archie ? so, Archibald or Archimedes ?

M
Oh good were doing politics, and from a mod too ! ;) to be honest europes on the skids, this whole european progect needs a rethink. Arch duke frans ferdinand
Ahhh. But has the Queen’s power actually been “limited” or “curtailed” legally? Or is it more true that royal power/authority still exists but simply hasn’t been excercized in a the last few generations? What would be the reaction (either the Legal reaction or the public reaction) if she decided to exercise a simple royal prerogative such as a royal pardon for an offender? Bear in mind I mean if the offense and pardon were of a non political nature as it’s quite obvious that a political one would likely bring instant condemnation.
Nope since they cut off charlies head, we have been free people, who are self governing with male emancipation since 1918 and female a decade later. All overseen by our benevolent administrators who took over from charlie and do not in anyway act like a unelected royalty. We are not given a choice between two very similar options and when a 3rd way is voted upon it is not in anyway put into straits. The queen would have to be advised to, much in the same way as she is advised to give knighthoods and what not to friends of the party in power, and to the people who advise her.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wheesht ! :) we're trying to keep the rambling discussion to this thread, so the politics isn't politics, iimmc ? it's a baby and it's family/society :)
Well, we're trying.......

Yes, since they decapitated Charles there is no longer any heritable right of jurisprudence (might have come before that, I know it didn't really end in Scotland until the Jacobites were defeated and the Government's stated intent was to turn the Highlands more prosperous, industrious and lowland like....and that meant civil authority not based in clan chiefs administering summary justice.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The real value of the monarchy is not in the power it holds, which is largely ceremonial in our case and that of most of Northern Europe, but in the power it denies to others.

There are many, some quite recent, who would have gone all out to have taken such power for themselves if the vacuum had existed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE