Confused about diamond / ceramic sharpener grades??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
I generally use 3 grades of water stone, 650 (not very often), 2000, 6000 (and finish with the Starkie). Taking into consideration the numerous threads on this subject i want to get a diamond / ceramic "stone" that i can use while out in the middle of nowhere.....

When i have looked at the grading for ceramic and diamond (i think i would prefer ceramic as diamond seems to be a bit harsh......) they do not seem to relate to the grit sizes used to describe water stones....

What should I buy to closest match my 2000, 6000 combination???

If anyone can give me a specific recommendation for a device that is robust (i heard ceramics can be a bit fragile) and good size (i don't want to have to lug round something as big as my water stones) i would be extremely grateful.

:biggthump

jakunen

Native
Can't remember the grades but for my money you can't beat the DC4 that Stuart sells.

Credit card sized, diamond and saphire sides, leather case you can use as a mini strop.
SUperb bit of kit. (Think its about time he gave me some commision for all the times I've recommended his kit...)

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Yeah but if you already reap the rewards of the starkie then you shouldn't want to use a secod rate strop...unless of course you enjoy the challenge :wink:

I have a DC4 and it is one of the most versatile little stone i can think of. Another possibility is a small waterstone from axminster/trekdirect.com...

The diamond side is very rough, and the ceramic is also a bit agressive too, but i find a small waterstone, DC4 and starkie covers all situtions...

:biggthump

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Cool, where do i find "Stuarts" site?? so i can go take a look......

I am a bt wary of using anything too agressive... although for the most part, the Starkie usually does the trick....

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have the DC3 which is a great piece of kit. There are quite a few other options as well. Here's a pic of some small sharpeners.

From left to right:

Norton India Stone - gives a great toothy edge

Fallkniven DC3 - excellent for the reasons mentioned above

DMT Diamond Mini-Sharp - DMT makes the best diamond stones out there imo. Easy to use because the holes reduce clogging and buildup as you sharpen so sharpening is smoother

GATCO Tri-Seps - does large and small serrations, fish hooks, and can be held at a fairly consistent angle to sharpen secondary bevels easily

Lansky Mini Dog Bone Crock Stick - handy and light

Stanley Sanding eraser - the easiest way to clean ceramics, not to mention great for removing rust from a knife. Cut a hunk off and throw it in with your kit.

A hard Arkansas stone - great for honing and maintaining a fine edge

minisharpeners1b.jpg

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
You really are kit-o-holic arn't you Hoodoo :)

I tried a mini sponge based sanding block as an alternative to the Hoodoo hone once, not very sucessful... the tip about using it to clean the DC3/4 is one i will go for though...

I ordered a DC4 last night, aparently with use the ceramic site smothes out a bit making it less course... I will have to spend some time on it with my £10 mora knife before I start shreading metal off my Woodlore...

Is there some way to prep a ceramic, in the same way you would use a Nagura stone on a fine water stone to help with the polished edge effect??

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
masongary44 said:
Is there some way to prep a ceramic, in the same way you would use a Nagura stone on a fine water stone to help with the polished edge effect??

Not that I know of. Just keep them clean with scouring powder and water or that ereaser above. They are very hard and do not wear down like a waterstone. I have crocksticks I bought back in the 70s that function as good as the day I bought them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE