Condor Bushlore. Any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have one, and I really like it. It doesn't get take out as much as it should.

Very good choice, out of all the blade blanks you can get. Just a note, the blade is 2.5mm, so keep that in mind. Some prefer a 3mm thick spine on bushcraft knives

Reactions: William_Montgomery

Jay131

Nov 20, 2021
Aberdovey
I love mine. I did the same as you’re planning to from a blade blank. I have several more expensive knives (F1, Brisa Trapper, BRK Fox River) but the Condor is the one I absolutely always reach for. I have used it for all the regular camp tasks & made countless fires (she strikes a ferro rod really well). I have never held back from battoning with it (we have predominantly oak, so it takes a fair pounding). I’ve used it most weekends since I built it in lockdown 2020.

I love the length and the heft of the blade. It feels like it might chop well (especially if you were to add a lanyard) but I don’t tend to use it for that.

The scandi grind holds up really well. I’ve never had any chips or bends. The edge may not last as well a super steels but it is so easy to resharpen and strop.

Because I was able to custom the scales they are absolutely perfect for me. I returned to the sander several times in order to get the fit exactly as I wanted it - I suspect that the personalised handle is what keeps it my go-to fixed blade.

There are certainly better quality blades available (not sure about blanks), but I found the process of making it wonderful and I have a weird sense of pride each time I use it!

8365D862-D830-405B-9FEE-71C47873C8DC.jpeg

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
I have one, and I really like it. It doesn't get take out as much as it should.

Very good choice, out of all the blade blanks you can get. Just a note, the blade is 2.5mm, so keep that in mind. Some prefer a 3mm thick spine on bushcraft knives
Cheers, Gra. I've got a couple of thicker blades, so I wouldn't mind something on the lighter side.

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
I love mine. I did the same as you’re planning to from a blade blank. I have several more expensive knives (F1, Brisa Trapper, BRK Fox River) but the Condor is the one I absolutely always reach for. I have used it for all the regular camp tasks & made countless fires (she strikes a ferro rod really well). I have never held back from battoning with it (we have predominantly oak, so it takes a fair pounding). I’ve used it most weekends since I built it in lockdown 2020.

I love the length and the heft of the blade. It feels like it might chop well (especially if you were to add a lanyard) but I don’t tend to use it for that.

The scandi grind holds up really well. I’ve never had any chips or bends. The edge may not last as well a super steels but it is so easy to resharpen and strop.

Because I was able to custom the scales they are absolutely perfect for me. I returned to the sander several times in order to get the fit exactly as I wanted it - I suspect that the personalised handle is what keeps it my go-to fixed blade.

There are certainly better quality blades available (not sure about blanks), but I found the process of making it wonderful and I have a weird sense of pride each time I use it!

View attachment 78213
That sounds pretty good. A reasonable price and able to take a pounding.

Your sense of pride is well justified. It looks like a lovely knife. Did you make the sheath too?

I just finished carving my first axe handle, it's far from perfect, but it's now my first choice. There's a lot to be said for the process and the satisfaction of seeing your work holding up to the job.

Jay131

Nov 20, 2021
Aberdovey
That sounds pretty good. A reasonable price and able to take a pounding.

Your sense of pride is well justified. It looks like a lovely knife. Did you make the sheath too?

I just finished carving my first axe handle, it's far from perfect, but it's now my first choice. There's a lot to be said for the process and the satisfaction of seeing your work holding up to the job.
I did make the sheath. It’s holding up well at the moment.

steveab

Oct 28, 2009
northwest
I agree with Jay and Gra_farmer. You'll enjoy making and using it.
I got some nice burr elm off ebay and kept myself busy in lockdown too!
I already had a premade one and made this as a gift for a friend.

IMG_2301.JPGIMG_2394.JPGIMG_2393.JPGIMG_2392.JPGIMG_2391.JPG

Also the Woodlaw is nice and an easy one to handle, I actually prefer it. I did this in ash and kept it:

IMG_2437.JPGIMG_2447.JPGIMG_2449.JPG

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk

View attachment 78247View attachment 78248View attachment 78249View attachment 78250View attachment 78251

Also the Woodlaw is nice and an easy one to handle, I actually prefer it. I did this in ash and kept it:

View attachment 78252View attachment 78253View attachment 78254
Nice. That's some pretty high standard work.

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
It's a nice leaf shape with plenty of handle length. Downside, it's only 1075, meaning it's very tough but it won't hold an edge for as long as some other steels. You won't get chips but it may blunt or roll.

Those handles look smoooth.

Chinook220

Forager
Jan 7, 2010
Warwickshire
These all look fantastic, I’m looking at doing similar. I’ve never made a knife up before, how do get the correct shape to the scales? Not sure where to start

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
You lay the wood on the knife blank and draw the outline of the steel on. You can draw outlines in all dimensions prior to work as an easy reference for the shape you want, but obviously only one dimension matters in regards to fitting it to the tang. Then you start with a wood file or a saw to get the rough shape and remove as much excess material as you can. You can temporarily pin the scales together so you can more easily saw / file them both in a mirrored fashion. Then you usually progress to sanding and go up the grits.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
These all look fantastic, I’m looking at doing similar. I’ve never made a knife up before, how do get the correct shape to the scales? Not sure where to start
As Bearmont said though what I would do is to put masking tape on the insides of the scales before securing them together with a couple small dabs of superglue

Quick video to give you and idea of what you need to do

A longer video from Ben Orford giving a more in depth explaination

A final video from Ben on how to shape the handle once fitted

steveab

Oct 28, 2009
northwest
Good advice above. Take your time and enjoy the process!

A pillar drill or some other way to ensure you are drilling perpendicularly for the pins is useful. I do the rest by hand using a decent Japanese rasp then sandpaper. Results have been variable but that's part of getting better. Maybe start with one of the easier shaped condor blades like the woodlaw or kephart - if you like them).

Reactions: Chinook220

Chinook220

Forager
Jan 7, 2010
Warwickshire

View attachment 78247View attachment 78248View attachment 78249View attachment 78250View attachment 78251

View attachment 78252View attachment 78253View attachment 78254
What size pin holes do these have? I want to order 3 Corby pins for my build!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE