Computers in Bushcraft

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I was given a well old PC to see what use I could make of the parts.

Well the Power Supply case was made of steel and it had holes in and......

psustove2.jpg

Using a dremmal I cut a hole in one of the sides (which became the top hole) and removed the centre of the fan cutout (which is used for filling the box). I drilled 10 holes around the top and reused the motherboard spacers to act as a pot rest.

psustove1.jpg

Even with no wind sheld the water got very hot. ( I did not get it to boil and the camera could not see past the steam to show it simmering)

I think it will make my stew for tea come Feb when I am out next

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Interesting. . .
I have loads of old computers lying around and never thought of doing something like this.
Thanks, I wonder if the cases can be used for larger projects takedown Hobo's etc.

:You_Rock_

Kev

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I really did think of converting the case to a hobo flat pack but do not have the tools to slice the steel case into flat sheet. Doing it with a dremel type is just going to take forever.
Mind you it must be a good source of steel plate

Fantastic thinking! When I saw the heading for the post I though hhmmmm this could be interesting as I've just got a garmin oregon GPS and Mapsource pc software for the whole of the UK...:D I was gobsmacked when I saw the actual post and saw the pc case! Fantastic and to my shame I recycled two old pc's last week in a non bushcrafty way!

Well done!

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
He's been on the phone and wants to include it in server 2009. Over heating is now a feature not a bug!!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Customer to sales assistant in computer shop
" Do you have any old, disused computers?
"What for, spare parts?"
"No I was thinking more of a chicken casserole" :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
My next project is to make bannock in a floppy drive

( one of the reasons I put this up was maybe someone will give us a quick tip to slice the case!! I am truely loving the jokes mind)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I would try a disc cutter with the correct disc, hammock_man, you can get a cutter suitable for light work quite cheaply in the big DIY shops. Mine is 4 years old, ok it's chinese made but still working fine on light work. Think it was £22 in a sale. :)

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Just a word of warning to any others that might be contemplating opening up the case of a closed PC PSU (Power Supply Unit), I was taught that the capacitors could hold high voltages for a few days after being disconnected. Supposedly you can still get a mains-worthy shock after it being un-plugged for that long. CRT Monitors are even worse for this and plus they contain hazardous chemicals so not retro-fitting/burning them! :bluThinki

:sulkoff:

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Just a word of warning to any others that might be contemplating opening up the case of a closed PC PSU (Power Supply Unit), I was taught that the capacitors could hold high voltages for a few days after being disconnected. Supposedly you can still get a mains-worthy shock after it being un-plugged for that long. CRT Monitors are even worse for this and plus they contain hazardous chemicals so not retro-fitting/burning them! :bluThinki

:sulkoff:

Take out the board carefully Dont touch any of the exposed parts and place the soldererd part direct on to tin foil on the floor, if they are loaded yourl get a big flash and bang then its ok to touch ;)
To be safer the tin foil should be earthed!! drive a large copper pipe into the ground connect it up and should take everything down to earth..

But to be honest with the power supplies these days you wont get to much og a belt from it..

usual disclaimers etc etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE