Competition - what is this used for?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
OK, here's a little competiton to see who can figure out what this was used for. There's no prize except bragging rites if you guess correctly.

All I can tell you is that this example is around 200 years old and is made of wood.

I don't want a name for it, but a description of what it's for and how it was used.

sm-whatsit01.jpg

sm-whatsit02.jpg

sm-whatsit03.jpg

sm-whatsit04.jpg

sm-whatsit05.jpg

sm-whatsit06.jpg

I'll leave it open until after the moot to give everyone a chance to have guess.

Eric

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I was also thinking along the firearms route, possibly you placed your rolled paper in the holes then scooped out of your powder keg.
failing that you scooped shot into the already packed paper/powder?

Biker

I am going to say a device for rolling CIGARs with, maybe picked up in Cuba

I thought Cuban cigars were rolled on the inner thigh of some gorgoeus doe-eyed beauty.

Anyway I was going to go for a sort of measuring device but having seen your reply Eric I wonder if it's some sort of musical instrument picker. Three fingers are inserted into the holes and then it's strapped over the palm with the flat part on the back of the hand and the spike thingy facing downwards is used to pluck strings or tap on a drum.

Bizarre, I know, but it's pure guesswork.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Hahaha nope.
Clue 1: Think small scale farming - small holding or the like.
Clue 2: On the one hand it is a tool in it's own right and on the other hand it is part of a set that works together.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I thought Cuban cigars were rolled on the inner thigh of some gorgoeus doe-eyed beauty.

Anyway I was going to go for a sort of measuring device but having seen your reply Eric I wonder if it's some sort of musical instrument picker. Three fingers are inserted into the holes and then it's strapped over the palm with the flat part on the back of the hand and the spike thingy facing downwards is used to pluck strings or tap on a drum.

Bizarre, I know, but it's pure guesswork.

Damn Biker you are soooo close in one way, but a mile away otherwise.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
bizare guess no2: It's a device for grading (i.e judging the size) of carrots.... Am all packed for the moot & am now bored...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well it's obvious really, isn't it? Its a... well, its a ... sort of, you know, a wooden ... thing.

What you do is you put the pointy end, er... and then you ...

Like I said, obvious. :confused: :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE