Competition Time!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Competition Time!

It's competition time!

I'm looking for the "Best of Bushcraft". This can be an account of a trip, something you made, details of your favourite sit spot or bushcraft place (and why), or perhaps your first bushcraft trip! Include a photo if possible. Prizes go to the best post on here.

Prizes:
1st Prize - Sunnto MC 2 sighting compass
30.jpg

2nd Prize - Sunnto A-30 compass
Suunto-a30-web.jpg

Reply to this thread to submit your entry. One entry per member.

Entries will be judged by me and Kath. Judges desicions are final! (I always wanted to say that! :eek:): ).

Closing Date: Midnight (GMT) 12th Nov 2004. Winners announced shortly afterwards.

Have fun!!!! :biggthump

Edi_M

Ok, a newbie entry from me....not strictly bushcraft but a lesson for some.

I got married in Jukkasjarvi on december 30th 2003 (thanks tenbears). For those who don't know where that is, about 200km inside the arctic circle in Swedish Lapland. We took 2 flights, a few days earlier, to get there and as an interesting (for us, anyway) observation to the journey, Ray Mears was sitting about 6 rows in front of us for the first leg, & was also on the plane for the second. This positively affected my mother (a nervous flier), so for those woodlore blokes that are members please extend my thanks for this unintended assistance from Ray. As a sidenote, when we got back to the UK we got severe grief from my sister for not asking Ray for his autograph. Much as I'd love to have a chat with the man, I figure he enjoys his privacy as much as the rest of us.

Anyway, on with the actual tale. On the day of the wedding it was around -20C outside, and for the morning prior to the ceremony we had booked a dogsled tour with some local guides. 'Don't wash before taking these trips' they had told us, 'you need the oils from your skin to protect you. Gents, don't shave, it'll make your skin more sensitive to frostbite'. I was wearing thermals, lightweight trousers, 2 pairs of socks (1 thin, 1 thick) plus bootliners, long-sleeved synthetic t (cotton kills), fleece, all-in-one thermal outer-suit and over the top I had my north-face polar jacket, balaclava and fur-lined hat, gloves & outer mitts.

Our tour took us across along (and across) the frozen lake that borders the ice-hotel complex we were staying in, and the initial journey took around 45 minutes to get us to our destination, coffee break in a big sort of teepee affair. During the journey I put my camcorder (sony ip55) through it's paces & it coped well with the temperature, however my feet, face & hands did not!. The balaclava froze around my face due to the moisture in my breath, my hands went through cold/numb/sore/burning, though my feet got as far as numb. It was impossible to keep the eyes wide open & staring straight ahead, as there was a constant fine mist of floating ice-particles that stung the skin at speed (which could only be seen as sparkling reflections of the camera flash when taking pictures). The dogs didn't seem to care about this, though. Considering there were 4 of us on the sled plus the driver, they made searing progress equally well through the woods as across the ice and snow, slowing only on command & with the assistance of brakes on the sled.

When we got there, our guide asked us if anyone had a lighter. Being a smoker, I offered him the zippo which I had filled fresh that morning. Think it would light? Nope. sparks aplenty, but in 45 minutes my petrol lighter, which was in the inner pocket of my polar jacket, had frozen solid! So, those novelty turbo-flame lighters that are widely regarded as merely that - novelty, do actually have some use. When kept fastened around the neck & against the skin, they will survive while any other method of lighting fire are rendered useless by the elements.

I suppose you could say my bushcraft competition entry is this : Zippos Freeze! If this is your primary method of lighting fire, keep it close to the body, & put it back there as soon as you've stopped using it - the wick freezes in seconds.

Anyway, to continue the day's story, while we were stationary the dogs proceeded to clear off the ice that had formed on their fur by rolling around in the snow, half burying themselves in their almost feverish flurry of activity (I have some of this on video), and within 10 minutes or so were tugging at the reins to get moving again. I'd learned my lesson, & the camcorder was safely in my pocket, along with my hands.

I was married to Claire McDonough (now murphy), in traditional scottish garb in a chapel made of ice & snow, indoor temperature was around -4C, outdoor was -17C, and the camcorder finally started to show signs of being affected by the conditions so the wedding video footage, kindly taken by my (also traditionally dressed) cousin, is incomplete. The aurora was in full swing that evening, and our wedding night was spent in an ice suite. The procedure is to remove the outer garments in the warm constructed reception, then make a mad dash to your room in the poorly lit hotel (the lights all get turned down as there are no doors to the rooms). It is a sight to behold, all these shadowy figures in a state of undress sprinting down corridors with sleeping bags over their shoulders & getting lost trying to remember where their room is.

Claire had insisted on a double sleeping bed, and while she slept like a baby in the middle of the bag, I spent the night alternately sweating & freezing squeezed on one side. If any reader is swithering on whether to go to the icehotel or not - GO. It's amazing. But keep to single sleeping bags. From landing on an ice-coated runway to being way overcharged for nouveau cuisine on hogmanay, it was like being in some sort of fairytale. One other piece of advice, though, is not to drink the local moonshine. It really is evil stuff.

And for anyone curious, yes, I am a true scotsman & have the (rather too revealing) pictures to prove it, as one over-curious waitress found out to her shock, though this is a family website so no pic will be posted as evidence! :cold: I don't know how to post pictures into this message, but if someone can give me some clues I'll glady put them up (apart from the rude ones)

I believe Ray Mears also does survival courses in the area (hence he was on our flight), I imagine the experience is probably equally special.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Here's my lil' story

In september 1988 I was holidaying in Montego Bay Jamaica with family & friends when we were struck by hurricane Gilbert. This was one of the strongest hurricanes ever seen in the Atlantic, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. Gilbert had winds up to 184 mph (296 km/h) and a central pressure of 888 mb, which is the second-lowest pressure ever recorded for an Atlantic hurricane. Gilbert devastated Jamaica as it raked the entire length of the island. During the onslaught Jamaica lost all supplies for power, water, communications and the roads were all blocked with fallen tree's etc. Although this was technically before bushcraft was a skillset in it's own right, my bushcraft skills helped keep a whole group of people safe as we would be waiting 4 days until roads were cleared and the runway bulldozed so planes could land. Our party were in the 'Montego Bay Club' Hotel and as the hurricane passed all the windows blew out and the roof was torn off, however we were luckier than people staying in the Coral Cliff Hotel as that went into the sea. When the storm subsided there were approx 100 people in our complex without electricity or water and only any food they had in their apartments. My 1st priority was sorting out the injured (mainly cuts from flying glass and 1 woman who cut her fingers off one hand while trying to open a patio door in the middle of the storm.) That done I organised people into groups. I detailed one group to find containers so every apartment had a bucket of sorts so they could go to the swimming pool and get water for flushing their toilets (the pool water was contaminated with petrol due to a motorcycle and lawnmower being blown in, and was unfit to drink). We then held a meeting and pooled any food & drink we had left and then with a local woman I took about 6 others with myself to forage for food and windfall coconuts. We grabbed about 60 coconuts and several kilos of fruit. I then organised a firepit so we could cook off any perishables and eat them first. as evening approached I showed people how to make a candle from a bottletop, an ashtray, some 140% rum and a strip of cloth so they could see better when it got dark and make a brew on it using some empty coke cans as a pot holder. We grabbed mattresses from the beds to plug up the windows and before bed I set up a couple of night lines off what was left of the jetty. We survived for 4 days drinking coconut juice and eating the fruits of the forest and fresh caught fish until we were bulldozed out . I'm in no doubt that had I not learned to forage, live off the land and adapt to the challenges, there would have been a lot of very poorly people, including myself when they finally got to us. I'll post some piccies when I get home to show you some of the devastation.

gilbert.jpg

We got a bit closer than this piccie :shock:

As promised:

Here comes Gilbert !! (notice how milky the ocean looks due to suspended matter and air bubbles)

This is the hotel walkway as the hurricane hit. You can see the panels of glass and wood are already starting to be ripped away.

Hotel entrance shortly after the hurricane

And the Reception/Lobby

Vehicles were trashed.

As was a plane forced down by the storm.

Shortly after the storm. Everyone getting some fluids down and taking stock of food supplies. Notice mattresses at the broken windows. Despite what happened morale was high (probably coz we survived lol).

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Remember folks, there are 2 prizes ... or maybe even three!!! :wink:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Pics up. :biggthump There aren't many more as I didn't have much film (ahh the days before digital eh ??) But it should give you a feel of what went on :shock:

Just though I'd tell you about how I learnt a basic bushcraft lesson I really really should have thought about :roll:

One of the things I do outdoors is geocaching where you hide a stash of goodies outdoors somewhere, post the coordinates on a website and then you go off with a gps unit and try to find other peoples caches, leave a not in the logbook and maybe swap some stuff.

As I had an evening free for the first time in a couple of weeks, I’d have another go at a cache which had beaten me some weeks previously. It wont give anything away to say that the location for this cache is in some woods that are less that a mile away from houses, a major duel carriage way and it’s only a couple of miles or so from Bournemouth so this cache isn’t exactly a wilderness cache miles and miles away from any where if you get my drift.

So, off I trot on the Big Red Machine, (My cache mobile is a Yamaha XJ900 Diversion motorbike) not thinking to tell anyone where I was going or when I would be back just because it was ‘only down the road’. Managed to get to the car park with no problems, and then thought ‘hold on, there’s a lay-by I spotted closer to the cache, I’ll park there instead’ moved over to there and prepared to do the cache.

When I get off the bike to do a cache, I lock my jacket, scarf and gloves in the top box and panniers along with anything else that I can’t be bothered to carry, and chain my crash helmet to the pannier frame. After almost losing my mobile at a previous cache, I was going to leave it in the top box as this was ‘only a local cache’, but for some reason at the last minute I stuck it back in my cache kit. (My cache kit is a bum bag which contains cache goodies, pencil, P.D.A., calling cards, small led back up torch, Cobra GPS100 gpsr and on this instance, my mobile. Clipped to the outside are a digital camera, 10x25 binoculars, a 3 d cell maglite and a few karabiner clips, some as cache goodies, some as generally useful items.)

I started along in the general direction of the cache, following my gpsr to the footpath I remembered from my last visit. The woodland that contains the cache is also home to a lot of rhododendron bushes and this makes it some of the densest English woodland I’ve ever been in (And on various outings with various people, I’ve visited woodlands all over the country) with some short, but quite steep climbs. I started to push on a bit as it looked like rain and I was relatively familiar with the path. As I started with my first foot down the first steep bit, I realised I was going too fast and in trouble. My second foot hit some damp roots, slipped and down I went liked a felled tree. As I went down, I heard two distinct cracks and the pain from my ankle was excruciating.

The first thought that went through my mind was ‘oh dear, that’s my ankle bust’ or words to that effect anyway :yikes: . My second thought was ‘thank the whatsits I’ve got my mobile phone on me after all ‘cos I might just have to phone for help here!’

Laying there for a couple of minutes to get my breathe back, I realised that although this was ‘just a local cache’, I was a mile or so from anyone, about ¼ of a mile away from my bike with a possibly broken ankle in some very dense woodland. If I was unconscious, you could have walked past me from 12 to 15 feet away and not seen me. The most important thing that occurred to me was that because I live on my own, no one knew where I was, and no one was expecting to see me until work the next day so no one would have realised I was missing until then.

I realised that I couldn’t just stay laying there and had to make a decision. While I was lying there, I heard a rustling in the bushes and looked over to see a large Badger walking past not more than 6’ away. I was so stunned by this as normally they are very difficult to spot round here, but I did also think “Hmm, you don’t often hear of 6’2” bikers being dragged out of the woods by Badgers!” :?: So I decided to try and make it back to the bike first before phoning for an ambulance. In the end, it took me about an hour to do the ¼ mile back to the bike and then I managed a very painful, slow ride home with not much gear changing as it was my left ankle that had gone. I managed to get to A & E the next day and although all of the soft tissue in my ankle was mashed, there are no bones broken.

I guess that the moral is (and certainly what I learned) that if you go outdoors on your own, which is something I enjoy doing, always, ALWAYS let someone know where you are going, even if ‘it’s just a walk down the local woods’ and I always take a fully charged and credited mobile phone with me now, as well as adding a whistle, foil blanket, knife and some form of fire lighting kit to my cache kit.

Be safe folks :biggthump

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Competition closed!

Winners announced shortly ... :eek:):

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE