Competition time...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I have a little bit of an obsession with making wooden mallets. My current collection is here:

u1qQJORl.jpg

My latest creation is the one second from right and I think it is my favourite (sad isn't it to have a favourite mallet).

Anyway, the competition is to correctly identify all the woods; there are a couple of sneaky ones there as you can see. The winner will be the first person to post in the thread who gets all six; failing that it will be the first post who got the highest number right.

The prize is my hardback copy of Ray's "Northern Wilderness" which will be delivered to your door at my expense.

Have fun!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'll go, left to right:

Himalayan birch, lime, pine, yew, willow, sycamore.

Not the best I'm sure but it's the best I can muster of the top of my head :).

Thanks for the competition!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Looks like someone could pick up Ray's book for a song here; I'll keep it going until Monday then wind it up.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Birch, Ash, Elder, Yew, Lime, Cherry

Sorry Stringmaker, timber ID isn't my forté. :eek:

Nice collection of mallets though :D and a good competition.

cheers,
M

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Birch hornbeam oak yew leylandiiIii mountain ash(rowan although you have to say cherry too, you have too)

The yew wood is really nice when you see it in contrast, I read a bit about it recently. Nice collection. Your not a mason are you?

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
Birch, Aspen, Pine, Leylandii, Hawthorn and Beech. I'm only sure about the birch tho. If the last one is beech that's got to jar your wrist.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Good efforts folks; there are a couple of sneaky ones which I shall reveal tomorrow.

If I was entering this I'd only get one right!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Righty ho, as promised, today is Monday so I shall reveal the answers.

From left to right we have:

Silver Birch
Ash
Ash (with bark mostly removed)
Field Maple (bark removed then oiled)
Hawthorn
Sweet Chestnut

I did say a couple of them were sneaky; not deliberately so, that is just how I made them but I though I'd include them anyway.

Therefore, the winner is..........uncleboob.

He was the first to post in the thread and identify the highest number.

I'll PM you for your address and get the book away to you sharpish.

Thanks for the participation folks; it was just a device for me to give the book away and it served it's purpose

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE