Compass Storage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi all,

My question is how do you store your map and compass in both the field and at home?

I us Silva compass and I am interested to see what you carry yours in when out and about so post any pics or links to products that might help keep mine safe.

Thank in advance :wave:
James

M

mick

out
around my neck if not in use

home where ever my kit gets thrown down

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I'll be honest I am the same but I recently had a near miss when I fell and nearly broke my compass.

They are not to expensive to replace (it was gift from the outlaws so don't want to have to replace it) but I was wondering if anyone had any handy tips or a particular product that will carry both map and compass in my pocket keeping them safe and dry without having it hang it from my neck as many of the traditional types do.

I was thinking along the lines of the military type fold up map case.

James

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Maps all live together in a carboard box.

Compass lives permanently in the pocket of my shell jacket except for when it's in use. Although the silva compasses are immune to general abuse, I keep mine in a simple pouch made from thin neoprene material just to limit the scratches and nocks without the bulk of a special case.

Cheers

P

paul thomas

heres a tip compass storage,dont keep near batteries they have an adverse effect on the compass needle.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Here is one model wich you you both can store map, compass and pen´s

Mil.kartfodral.jpg

Here is a pocket specially made for the Silva Ranger 15T

Kompassficka_gron.jpg

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I use an ortleib map case. They make several document cases (A4, A5 etc) but also a square OS folded size map case. It is good rubber which will not crack like lots of map cases. I have heard they have them at outdoor shows filled with water and frozen and the rubber just streaches without breaking.

As for compass mine has a mirror lid so it is protected and goes in my pocket as I was always tought that hung round your neck it can get snagged and choke you (jump off a style and it gets caught, if it is a long way to the ground could be nasty)

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE