Commuting - How far?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Somewhat inspired by the thoughtful work of Mr Beau Miles I wonder if I can ask the following.

Now I appreciate that the past year and a bit we may have all changed the normal manner in which we have worked and many of us have been introduced to the various delights & ad hoc glory of IT backed Zoom and Teams virtual meetings and networking for business.

So , pre-covid in the workplace that you that you would term as your main job(s) location - can I ask :-

How far was the commute? In distance and time undertaken.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Average distance seems to be twenty five miles or so and counting the fairly long 30 mph zone to get out of town about half an hour.
But, I'm a builder and it ranges a LOT from five mins just down the road to an hour and a half.
Anything further than an hour away fror more than about a month is too far and next site better be closer cos I'm not going further away next time.
If I've been working close to home for a while I'll not make a fuss about one further away.
Give and take but no way am I working more than an hour away long term, it gets in the way of living an enjoyable life and extra money doesn't make up for the time.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Was and still is at least 1hr 15min each way. A distance of about 47 miles. Some days it can be a 3hr commute one way, if I go further afield......

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Currently about 8 miles ~20 minutes. I've been reigning in my travel distance for the last few years; if I can do equivalent work closer to home then why bother travelling?

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Probably about 4 miles, maybe 10-15mins by car, because of the local canal I can do it on the bike in 15 mins going, but about 25 mins on the way back going uphill

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Average distance seems to be twenty five miles or so and counting the fairly long 30 mph zone to get out of town about half an hour.
But, I'm a builder and it ranges a LOT from five mins just down the road to an hour and a half.
Anything further than an hour away fror more than about a month is too far and next site better be closer cos I'm not going further away next time.
If I've been working close to home for a while I'll not make a fuss about one further away.
Give and take but no way am I working more than an hour away long term, it gets in the way of living an enjoyable life and extra money doesn't make up for the time.
I was in much the same boat. These days I'm mostly retired, but still take on the odd job for local old and valued clients. Never really travel more than an hour each way.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
My commute is, or would be if I could drive, 43 miles door to door. As I need to use public transport it takes me 3 hours each way. Luckily I can work from home

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
My office is 17 miles away, but it’s London so commute is 1 hour 20 on the train, anything from 25 minutes to 2 hours drive!

I’m in the office 2-3 times a week, the rest in the field so to speak

for me the right job is worth the travel.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If I were in the office it's 14.5 miles and between 25 and 45 minutes depending on traffic. Out of the office it can be up to 100 miles and up to 3 hrs again depending on traffic.

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Its more time than how far. My wife's commute was twice as far my I drive but took the same amount of time. 45minutes (each way) is about right for me, would go a hour if I liked the job enough. Work is 15 miles from home. Previously it was 10 minutes on the bike or 20 by car.
I cannot work from home at all.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Mine is 1 minute by Brompton to the station, 21 minutes by train and 6 minutes by bike. Reverse going home. £29 a week season ticket which was cheaper than when I drove in from our old house closer to work. That was 10 miles but I'm probably 20 miles by car if I did that.

Actual travel time is 36 minutes with waiting for the train door to door. Well more like 31 minutes. A bit longer as I have extra 6 minutes wait for train to go.

We moved to a nicer area with a garden but still allowed us to use car or van less. Food deliveries, online purchases and so much to do locally means we don't need to go so far. In the week I'm the only one to commute, partner works from home, son goes to village school. Further from work but less commuting it seems. Good in many ways I reckon.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I have had a few jobs with long commutes, Liverpool to London, St Austell to Tiverton, but these were commutes that were limited, the Liverpool to London I would then go away for three to four weeks, and the Tiverton one I would only do once a week, as i would be away from home for a week, had one other Liverpool to Bedford round trip once a week, but that was paid mileage so it was worth doing @56p per mile.
I don't mind how long a journey is, as one of my greatest loves is driving, I have spent most of my working life driving artics all over the continent and the middle east, so time and distance didn't really mean a lot.

Reactions: Van-Wild

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Current commute is down to a blissful 8 miles that takes 15-20 minutes on country roads with almost no traffic tail backs. Usually it is the lower end of that time.

Previous job was 17 miles that could be 32 minutes on a fantastic day, and 1h on a bad one...usually took about 40-50 minutes as there was always a huge tail back or two.

Before that, 12 miles, about 24 minutes, against the prevailing traffic, but could have a significant tail back in the morning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE