Community Garden Vandalism

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
A good chunk of humanity just observed the resurrection of
a Rabbi? Manifestation of the godhead? A troublemaking Jew
That POed the priests? A fictional character cobbled out of several people?
Jazus f Christ can’t the lady be judged for her known acts?
What does the "f" stand for.??

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Agincourt
The french knights let it be known any peasant English longbow man
Captured would have his hands cut off. flights of arrows ( and mud and a geographical funnel unseen from their position) broke the French charge.
At this point, the English archers stepped forward en mass and raised their ‘flucking’ or old English pronunciation for PLUCKING fingers in the air, giving birth to a universal symbol of defiance.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Agincourt
The french knights let it be known any peasant English longbow man
Captured would have his hands cut off. flights of arrows ( and mud and a geographical funnel unseen from their position) broke the French charge.
At this point, the English archers stepped forward en mass and raised their ‘flucking’ or old English pronunciation for PLUCKING fingers in the air, giving birth to a universal symbol of defiance.
OK, so how does that relate to "f" ? :)

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Mankind ( the old Germanic meaning and not sexist) has
A history of destroying people
Who share good news, bread
and fish or garden produce. I
Used a American expletive in ironic
Frustration seeing it again ( obviously semi censored) I had to clarify the linguistic history of the F word. Think of it as the marvelous old CONNECTIONS series hosted by Lewis Carrol

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Mankind ( the old Germanic meaning and not sexist) has
A history of destroying people
Who share good news, bread
and fish or garden produce. I
Used a American expletive in ironic
Frustration seeing it again ( obviously semi censored) I had to clarify the linguistic history of the F word. Think of it as the marvelous old CONNECTIONS series hosted by Lewis Carrol

Please don't take this as a dig but can I ask is English your first Language ? Were you born a native speaker ?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Don't mean to offend but I think English is first language but there's possibly other reasons behind his distinctive use of it. We all have our linguistic mannerisms to some extent or other.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW I thought in was the two plucking fingers removed not the whole hand, hence the raising of the middle and index fingers only. To me that makes more senseto the two fingered salute than cutting the whole hand off.

It still amuses me when I see non- English origin or native speakers, Internet social media posers use the two fingered gesture showing the back of the hand not the palm in a media pose. Are they really telling their followers to fo?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
It still amuses me when I see non- English origin or native speakers, Internet social media posers use the two fingered gesture showing the back of the hand not the palm in a media pose. Are they really telling their followers to fo?
Usually, no. That gesture just doesn’t have the same connotation for them. Either it means the number 2 or it is meant to be a victory sign (or rather ”I’m cool and acting up for the camera”) and they just don’t see any difference between palm-out and palm-in.

Reactions: Paul_B

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Usually, no. That gesture just doesn’t have the same connotation for them. Either it means the number 2 or it is meant to be a victory sign (or rather ”I’m cool and acting up for the camera”) and they just don’t see any difference between palm-out and palm-in.
That's what I mean, they are only aware of their understanding or meaning. That's OK but would they use it if they knew the "original" meaning?

I think it's now the style like the "coolkids" flashing gang hand gestures without knowing them or understanding the meaning.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
That's what I mean, they are only aware of their understanding or meaning. That's OK but would they use it if they knew the "original" meaning?

I think it's now the style like the "coolkids" flashing gang hand gestures without knowing them or understanding the meaning.
Probably not for the V-sign, although if used to mean ”2” then if that’s normal where they are then of course they’ll still use it.

Also, knowing that something is rude and feeling that something is rude are two different things, which is why so many non-English speakers quite happily use rather coarse English swear words even if they would shy away from using their native language’s equivalent.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I stand to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure the 'two finger salute' originating from the French habit of cutting off the fingers of the English archers is a myth.
That story first circulated some time in the 70s with the growth of re-enactors. But there's no historical basis for it.
The gesture itself is centuries old but the story of its origin is unknown.
Happy to be proven wrong...

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Quick addendum.
As I recall the favourite explanations for it's origins are either as the horns of the devil or a sign of the cuckold to taunt the opposition.
But, like expression 'OK',* no one really knows where it comes from.

*No, not an American president who didn't know how to spell his name - it was in use before then.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Between vandalism, salting the earth, rabbis, archers and the english language, I'm left totally confused...

Think I'll go and salt some earth... or was that the bad thing?

Reactions: Macaroon

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's a medieval painting with a group of archers facing a training target and one has arguably two fingers up pointing to the target. However this is not conclusively clear support for the archer origin story. I think it's actually a fairly modern origin because the horns origin was actually little and index fingers for the horns.

So the truth is the origins is unknown but to us English I think the agincourt myth is actually preferable to horns of the devil. It is for me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was told that it was an English snub (like flicking your nail in your teeth) to the French.
A rude gesticulation......and on that note, please remember that the forum guidelines ask for 'child, school, library, etc., friendly conversation.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

In some cultures a thumbs up is a grossly offensive sign; do you think they write on their forums "it still amuses me when I see non- (insert language here) origin or native speakers, internet social media posers use the thumbs up sign. Are they really telling their followers to ...?"
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE