Community Garden Vandalism

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I just read about a lady over there. She grew organic produce for food insecure people, @ 163.
Someone SALTED the place with @2 kilos.
She hasreceived generous gofund me donations. I sent a modest sum. Hungry? BTDT
There are those in every society worldwide befitting The Mikado’s
Lord High Executioner.
“As someday it may happen, that a victim must be found. IM making up a list, I’ve got a little list.......”

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
As she says herself in that piece - this wasn't a random act, it was someone who knew what effect the salt would have and was willing to go out and purchase the necessary amounts.
That's someone with a grudge, for whatever reason.
Good to see that people have rallied around (and, as Kav demonstrates, from all over the globe) to help remedy the damage.
I'd be very interested in knowing the culprit's motive but I suspect that even if the person is found we'll never truly know.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The good news is it'll wash away very quickly and the soil will be usable again. Why anyone would be so spiteful, goodness knows.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
To feed 1600 takes a lot of time and effort, those furrows look straight and even, probably done with a petrol driven rotivator... I would reckon it's a disgruntled neighbour who's cheesed off with the continuing noise of petrol engines every day.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The article I read said 5 kg of salt. They probably didn't have a rotavator because she's been quoted as saying that the money raised will allow her to buy a rotavator to make it easier in the future. So I took that as she doesn't have one

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm sorry that all that work seems ruined, that the lady is so distressed and upset.

Salt though, in our climate, well certainly around here, salt just washes away, it's not desert region, iimmc? It will ruin present seedlings but it'll not ruin soil, not 5kgs on a piece of land that would feed 1600....that can't be right, to feed 1600 folks needs acres. It might be to provide fresh vegetables to help feed 1600, but no way would that small patch feed so many.

I too suspect that the neighbours (or a neighbour) has had enough.
Enough of what though ? we don't live there, we don't know the subtext, the underlying frustrations that led to this. Something must be pretty bad for them to resort to this level of what seems to be spiteful vandalism.

M

Reactions: Robbi

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
You know what, it could be an idiot with a grudge, or it could be simply someone who wants to watch the world burn.

There is a road I travel on time to time which has a house in certainly not the most well off area, but they have a wooden panel garden fence and on it they/someone, painted trees, cartoon woodland creatures etc, its a road that I know some schools are on and I suppose I've smiled to myself passing it, that someone has gone to that effort on the OUTside of their fence to brighten up the world... a few months ago I drove past and someone had spray painted an extremely poor attempt at a 'willy' onto it.... Now I'm not the most mature person in the world, especially when it comes to drawing appendages on friends vehicle windows etc, but this was just senseless vandalism for what I can only assume is for no other reason than to just watch the world burn.

Or as folks have said, there is more to this than meets the eye. I don't really trust anything these days... Perhaps could even be self sabotage...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The idea that she is now over £200,000 Better of shouldn't be questioned

I firmly suspect though that anyone who organises 1600 food parcels will use that money to make more.

Whatever the whole of the story is, she did do the work, she did generously donate and she was rightly upset at seeing more work vandalised like that.

I think Scottieoutdoors comments kind of hit things on the nail.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should, and those that ruin or despoil others' work just because they can, really need to get a grip.

Reactions: Robbi

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I suppose there is a hercule poirot to this whereby she, a generous charitable person was running low on time, energy, money, recognition to continue, so sabotaged her own spot in order to gain public sympathy and donations so that she could continue on a larger scale.

Twiddles moustache...

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
A good chunk of humanity just observed the resurrection of
a Rabbi? Manifestation of the godhead? A troublemaking Jew
That POed the priests? A fictional character cobbled out of several people?
Jazus f Christ can’t the lady be judged for her known acts?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE