Common Spotted Orchid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Saw this cracking common spotted orchid on a site I was surveying today!

orchid.jpg

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I was at Loch of Lumgair SSSI in Aberdeenshire - you don't usually see them as big as this!

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Outstanding.

Would be very interested to know what soil type it's on and if the surrounding area is farm land.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Hi jack

It's on a site with fairly base-rich fen peats and willow woodland (bay willow and grey willow) and yes, it's totally enclosed by farmland, mainly arable. There were also quite a few northern marsh orchids.

Cheers

Fraser

Jack said:
Outstanding.

Would be very interested to know what soil type it's on and if the surrounding area is farm land.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Thanks Fraser and I am amazed that beautiful example exists while the environment around it is down to modern agriculture. We do get the Common Spotted down here in Dorset, but of course it is the grassland equivalent and certainly not so strong........we are mainly chalk!

Thursday just gone, I was in a meadow, with over 207 species of wild flower growing, how our fields used to be. You can find over thirty species of wildlife in one square meter of 'unimproved' meadowland.

When we look across our fields now with mono-culture layes of Rye grass it makes you wonder how the hell the NFU can honestly justify using the slogan ' Farmers, guardians of the countryside'..........do they really think we are that stupid.

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE