Common land

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

noonan79

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2012
cheshire
I've just been reading another thread and someone said that common land is a bit different to the likes of the forestry commission and national parks. Is this correct and if so does anyone know what the laws are with regards to our bushcrafting past time? Thanks in advance, Ian.

noonan79

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2012
cheshire
Ha ha, I know this bit of land and I don't remember there being any signs up but I was just walking through, not having a proper mooch. Gonna go and have a better look around this weekend me thinks!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Unless you have specific commoners rights, the land is generally no more free to use than any other grazing land. Commoners rights are generally associated with owning or occupying property in the area.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Lots of "common" land actually has loads of rules regarding its use - often strictly imposed. There is usually a body with responsibility for it e.g. The Malvern Conservators in The Malvern Hills. Sometimes it is the Parish Council.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
We have common land in the village. There are only a limited number of 'common s' remaining in England. They have certain rules....like no camping or fires......
Here's an example...
The commoners can freely gather firewood for own use , but not timber .

Common land is often privately owned and managed by the parish .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Lots of "common" land actually has loads of rules regarding its use - often strictly imposed. There is usually a body with responsibility for it e.g. The Malvern Conservators in The Malvern Hills. Sometimes it is the Parish Council.

Apologies Kerne......I jumped straight in......

Time for a wesh an brew :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
We used to have grazing rights for our sheep on the fell beside our farm, as it was in the lakes there was a sort of agreemement that people could camp on there as long as it was above a thousand feet altitude. Our place was about 980. As far as we were concerned people could camp where they wanted as long as they tidied up after themselves and we let people who asked camp on our enclosed land often enough. Hell we even filled water containers for them.
Can remember someone driving their family there in a beautiful old Alvis car and staying on our gorse field (it had a few gorse bushes in it so thets what it got called) and they loved the water from our tank so much compared to the town water from their home that they took some home with them.

Being polite was the key to it all though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE