Combi Boiler Replacement- Recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi all, I'm needing to replace my combi boiler.:rolleyes:

It's done well, as it was installed in 1992! a good boiler(Vaillant) but it's getting to the point that the "gas board", with whom we have had a service and repair contract since it was installed, are saying that they cant get spares for it and there's a part that needs replacing (which they have) but they can't guarantee not to damage other parts in the process of the repair, ( parts they claim they don't have/can't get)

It's the diverter valve that separates the hot water from the heating that's gone dicky, they have the valve but not the micro bore copper pipes, which they claim can be broken during the valve change:rolleyes:

So what I'm looking for is an alternative supplier/installer, ideally a reputable national company, or a decent size local ish set up, just not a one man band and definitely not the "gas board" :pirate:

Any recommendations at all?

thanks in advance

Steve

Flav

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2013
West sussex
That bit went on my boiler October last year one plumber flat out refused to fix it as it's a bugger to do and disrupts lots of other bits, next plumber said easy peasy and fixed it but the thing ended up leaking from 2 places, ended up having to replace the boiler in the end anyway

rancid badger

Classic "Catch 22":banghead:

To be fair to the "gas board", the lad was honest, if lacking a bit of confidence but I'd do it myself if I had the part, as I have to deal with very similar situations at work on a regular basis-although with very much better back up if it all goes "pete tong":eek:

cheers

Steve

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The very same happened to our Vaillant a few years ago. We replaced ours with a Worcester Bosch and got to say it the biggest load of carp we ever bought. It is supposed to handle the system we have easily but doesn't. Had the guys out to look at it even an independant engineer and they all say its ok.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The very same happened to our Vaillant a few years ago. We replaced ours with a Worcester Bosch and got to say it the biggest load of carp we ever bought. It is supposed to handle the system we have easily but doesn't. Had the guys out to look at it even an independant engineer and they all say its ok.

Our Worcester Bosch has been very good- 5 year warranty on it too. Sounds like you were sold the wrong system for the number of rads in your house or you have some other issue.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Why not go with another Valiant, But a newer model.

We replaced our boiler last year from a Vokera to a Worcester, Try and steer clear of the larger national gas companies, The so called "biggest and best" wanted to charge us over 4 grand, Just for a boiler replacement, If you can work out what size you need yourself, There are plenty of Heating calculators online, They're fairly easy to use ,then compare it with quotes you get. We saved ourselves over 2 and a half grand and used a good local independent installer.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I can't recommend anything but as yours is 20 years old and probably less efficient than todays ones you may be able to get some form of grant towards replacement. Might be worth a look.

I expect you'll end up with a condensing combi. If so, ensure the condensate is installed correctly, many aren't. They are meant to go to internal waste is possible and if not they need careful placement and insulating as they're prone to freezing and causing the boiler to break down!

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I can't recommend anything but as yours is 20 years old and probably less efficient than todays ones you may be able to get some form of grant towards replacement. Might be worth a look.

I expect you'll end up with a condensing combi. If so, ensure the condensate is installed correctly, many aren't. They are meant to go to internal waste is possible and if not they need careful placement and insulating as they're prone to freezing and causing the boiler to break down!

To be fair they don't break down - it just cuts out until the blockage is cleared (defrosting the down pipe). It's not a job you need to call an engineer out for. Ours froze over in the really bad winter a few years back (-15c). I just disconnected the down pipe and let it leak out from the wall (heating came back on instantly) - then defrosted the down pipe and reconnected. 10 minute job all in. But yes - way better if it can be connected internally.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Try and steer clear of the larger national gas companies, The so called "biggest and best" wanted to charge us over 4 grand, Just for a boiler replacement, ...... We saved ourselves over 2 and a half grand and used a good local independent installer.

+1 on this - British gas, Npower and the likes will spin you all sorts of carp about needing a full system cleaning using a pump and expensive cleaners. They'll try and sell you mag clearners, limescale removers and all sorts of other add ons - they'll have the ability to miraculously drop £500 off the price when you raise an eyebrow.

In short they are rip off merchants on commission.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
To be fair they don't break down - it just cuts out until the blockage is cleared (defrosting the down pipe). It's not a job you need to call an engineer out for. Ours froze over in the really bad winter a few years back (-15c). I just disconnected the down pipe and let it leak out from the wall (heating came back on instantly) - then defrosted the down pipe and reconnected. 10 minute job all in. But yes - way better if it can be connected internally.

Indeed, I should have said stop working. However many people do end up calling out an engineer - there was quite a lot of stories in the news when we last had a very cold winter. Of course, done properly (plenty of info about this online) you'll not have to fix it or wake up to a freezing house on a cold day.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
+1 on this - British gas, Npower and the likes will spin you all sorts of carp about needing a full system cleaning using a pump and expensive cleaners. They'll try and sell you mag clearners, limescale removers and all sorts of other add ons - they'll have the ability to miraculously drop £500 off the price when you raise an eyebrow.

In short they are rip off merchants on commission.

Wouldn't it be best to do a system power flush on that age of system though, before fitting the new boiler ? Get rid of any sludge or scale and make sure the rads are able to work fully ?

Cheers, Paul

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Wouldn't it be best to do a system power flush on that age of system though, before fitting the new boiler ? Get rid of any sludge or scale and make sure the rads are able to work fully ?

Cheers, Paul

only if it's needed - they should check before recommending a flush. British Gas told us we'd definitely need one (without checking) in order to get a warranty, our independent did a few checks and told us we didn't. We still have a 5 year warranty on the boiler.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
only if it's needed - they should check before recommending a flush. British Gas told us we'd definitely need one (without checking) in order to get a warranty, our independent did a few checks and told us we didn't. We still have a 5 year warranty on the boiler.

Agreed, makes sense to check.

Cheers, Paul

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Last edited:

rancid badger

Thanks for the interest so far, I think I might just have seen it all now! Boiler installations on ebay! Both the links are London area but who knows?!

I've got the robbing bxxxxxs from the gas board coming on Wednesday and a local independent firm on Thursday for quotes, it'll be "interesting" to see how they compare:rolleyes:

cheers

Steve

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
BG don't quote on individual installations, well they didn't used to, they tend to give fixed price quotes, Boiler change, that's £3000, heating system, 1 bed, 2 bed, 3 bed sort of stuff, sometimes they make, some times they lose... local individuals quote for the individual system requirements.

Have a look around the builders/plumbers merchants and you will find "Heating packs" for various prices.

Like most things in life we have a choice, take it or leave it...Don't ever go for the first quotation, get at least three or four. I used to do a boiler change in a day, that's about 8 hours, for my parents boiler I did it in 6 hours, an easy change over from one make to another all pipe work nearby...

An hours labour is around £30 some places it is more so Approx 30 X 8 = £240, a boiler is around a £1000, If the old gas line needs renewing it is going to cost more.

Then add the VAT... etc etc, it is likely to be getting close to £2000 for a good Combi boiler, Worcester have a VERY good name at the moment.

I have a boiler that has been in for 9 years now, never been serviced, doesn't need to be done every year, but it will cost a minimum of £60 every year some one comes out and vacuums the case for you. A simple flue gas analysis will tell if it needs to be serviced...Mine doesn't.:)

Also remember that these aren't just blokes popping in to fit your boiler...

I have just done my Gas safe course, it costs a small fortune every 4 or 5 years to re-qualify

[h=1]DURATION: 5 Day(s)[/h][h=1]PRICE: £1,065.00 ex VAT[/h]

Gas Safety Course (& Appliances) Overview The Logic4training five day Core Domestic Gas Safety (CCN1) course, plus appliances includes training and initial assessment on the following:

• CCN1 - Core Domestic Gas Safety. (With effect from 1st April 2012, the Combustion Performance Analysis (CPA1) module is included within CCN1 )
  • CENWAT - Central Heating Boilers & Water Heaters
  • CKR1 - Cookers
  • HTR1 - Space Heaters (including Gas Fires and Wall Heaters)
Logic4training’s Core Domestic Natural Gas Safety (CCN1) course and appliances, initial training and assessment is a necessary requirement of the Nationally Accredited Certification Scheme for Gas Fitting Operatives (ACS).
This gas safety course is designed for gas installers who are undertaking their ACS qualifications for the first time, have completed the Approved Prior Learning programme, for candidates whose qualifications expired more than 12 months ago or for those who feel they need more in depth additional CCN1 and gas appliances training.
The cost of the CCN1 course (plus appliances) includes training, assessment and the certification fee. This package will be reduced by £125.00 + vat per appliance for gas installers who do not require assessment in all of the appliance modules. Operatives who do not need to complete all of the modules within the package should contact the Customer Service Team on 0208 845 7222 for a revised price for the course. Training is not a mandatory prerequisite to assessment.

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
are you or your wife/partner in receipt of child or working tax credit? or some other benefits, can,t remember which, if so you may be eligible for a free one with fitting, we got one fitted just before Xmas through Thrift Energy.
atb
ship

ps.
Thrift energy
unit 30, Kingsway House
Team Valley, Gateshead
NE11 0HW
0191 284 2424
thriftenergy@aol.com

Last edited:

rancid badger

Thanks Ship, unfortunately we don't qualify for anything like that. I've seen the various adverts for boiler replacement over the last year or so with offers etc.

I've got the GB coming at 10 this morning, then another couple of estimates tomorrow from independents.

We'll see how things go.

Cheers

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE