Combi Boiler Replacement- Recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just thought I'd update so far, GB arrived and did a full assessment of the job including quite a few measurements, checked the loft tank, gas and electric meters etc etc. In short it was a very individual quote.:)

Anyway, we'll see how things shape up with our other quotes and then decide where we're going after that.

cheers

Steve

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
always go for a Worcester Bosch boiler there is a good reason they keep winning the Which? awards.
powerflushing the central heating system is very important and is the best way of cleansing a heating system. any modern boiler has a very small heat exchanger and the dirt which an older boiler could cope with will ruin a new one.
for the same reason have a magnet filter fitted to protect the heat exchanger from any dirt the flush didn't get out and any dirt produced in the future. the cleaner the system the more efficient it will be and the less fuel the boiler will use.
(some manufacturers say they will reject any warrantee claims if they test the water and it is dirty.)
it is seldom as easy as just swopping one boiler for another the whole system needs to be brought up to current safety and efficiency regulations.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Just thought I'd update so far, GB arrived and did a full assessment of the job including quite a few measurements, checked the loft tank, gas and electric meters etc etc. In short it was a very individual quote.:)

Anyway, we'll see how things shape up with our other quotes and then decide where we're going after that.

cheers

Steve

Interesting that they checked the loft tank for a combi boiler, as they aren't usually in place anymore when a combi is already in.

I am guessing that they did some room measurements to check heat loss calculations are close to what the data plate on the boiler was reading, and a quick peek in the roof space to check loft insulation levels, maybe they will give you a quote for putting some more insulation up there as well. Did they check to see if your current radiators had TRV's (Thermostatic Radiator Valves) and if you had double or single glazing and wall insulation.

Not sure why they looked at the Gas and Electric meters, unless they were doing a couple of gas readings to see what the consumption rates were with the boiler running full rate.

Will be interesting to see what the results will be.

A useful little site for boiler sizing.

http://www.boilers.org.uk/whole_house.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE