Coloured axe handles

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have been making some axe handles recently, from cleft ash. I usually use a linseed oil/danish oil typpe of finish, but with these decided to add some colour.
sales690.jpg

Shaping one of the haft's from air dried ash
sales671.jpg

View along the same haft. I used the natural flow of the grain to my advantage. The form is a fusion of the english and finnish style's
sales691.jpg

"Finnfoot"
sales677.jpg

Wedging done with cleft air dried oak wedges. This shows the colour. I mixed oil colour with boiled linseed oil, danish oil and real turpentine. I soaked rags in it, wrapped the handles with them, then in polythene sacks, then left them 48 hours. Some are yellow, some red. The colour isnt as intense as I had hoped-ash doesnt take up colour as well as some other woods do-but the haft's are "well oiled" so to speak...... I used a hot applied buffed wax finish.
sales686.jpg

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Very nice handles but I have heard that for the strongest handles the grain should run in the same direction as the cutting edge, vertically not horizontally. But it is hard to find such big pieces of wood.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Very nice handles but I have heard that for the strongest handles the grain should run in the same direction as the cutting edge, vertically not horizontally. But it is hard to find such big pieces of wood.

I honestly dont think it makes much difference in my experience. I use my axes agressively (but also sensibly, not abusing them) and have never had one break on me. Your right, its not that easy to get decent ash with the grain running vertically, and so I use radial splits, usually 1/16th of a log or 1/8th if its smaller:)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Do you want some? I happen to have an ash trunk 8ft long and about a foot across that i split and left to season about a year ago. Its purpose is for bowstaves as it has no knots or faults and is as straight as they come. I can cut some out for you if you wish.

They look great now they are finished and that roselli is a massive improvement on the original. If the shaft was like that to begin with i would have had one by now. Shame they make them backwards. It ruins them IMO.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

Not really mate, you only need wood similar size to what these were cut from. You take a square out and can use it either way. Smaller diameter logs may not give you a totally straight grain, but will give you a strong handle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE