Collins & Co., Hartford Machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Collins & Co., Hartford Machete in its original leather sheath.

Blade 14 inches, handle 5 inches

Quote from Davis town Museum
"According to their 1921 catalog, tools bearing the mark "Collins & Co., Hartford" is used on their premium products whereas "R. King," "Bx Swift," "Bv Wise" and "Charter Oak" are used on their budget lines of products."

I brought it in Belize in 1977 from a tool shop where they cut off fancy tassles and sold them to farmers.

I would like to sell this but I have no idea of the value of this and wondered if anyone here has?

Note that there is some surface rust next to the handle and three scratches (can be felt with thumbnail) to the left of the label.

machette_logo.jpg

machette_front.jpg

machetteback.jpg

Attachments

• machette_front.jpg
    machette_front.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 12
  • machetteback.jpg
    machetteback.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 11

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I think I best get mine out of the cupboard, I bought mine in Belize in 1977, it's bigger and has tassels, so there! Lol

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
It was, we sure held off those Guatamlans, it was rough, those NAAFI bar hours were terrible at Airport camp!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
The Collins Machete played a considerable part in the Spanish American war of 1895 in Cuba.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The Collins Machete played a considerable part in the Spanish American war of 1895 in Cuba.

It was 1898. And I believe most of the machete use was in the Phillipines during various insurections by the Moros after the war. The Cubans were well armed with Spanish Mausers and maxim guns more modern than the American weapons.

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Aah, the big C, the Hotel Continental, what a wonderful place, served a wonderful tipple, 1Barrel, if being short of funds one could partake 3 Barrel, just don't smoke at the same time.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It was 1898. And I believe most of the machete use was in the Phillipines during various insurections by the Moros after the war. The Cubans were well armed with Spanish Mausers and maxim guns more modern than the American weapons.

Looks like I got the Cuban insurrection of 1895 mixed up with the start of the Spanish American War.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE