Collecting resin

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
After a long walk in the sun today I had the lads collecting resin from the conifers in the wood at Clough Bottom Reservoir. Theres no big stands nearer to where we live so while I recovered I had them picking the shiny red bits off the bark of some trees.

However they collected very little (even after I joined in), not enough to merit processing so is it just certain trees that produce useful amounts?

I'd prefar to make my own but can you buy the stuff?

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's used in making incense, etc.
Search for Colophony, and it should give you the stuff.
Alternatively search for rosin.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No idea about that, I do know it's a bog standard basic ingredient for a lot of the incense recipes. Interesting to find out more though,

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's also the rosin that musicians use on bowstrings for violins, violas, basses, etc........and it gives of dust then :rolleyes:

Thank you for the link :)

cheers,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folk, thanks for the info.

boys06.JPG

The cheapest I have found so far is about 10 quid a pound, but it go's against the grain to buy the stuff.

ATB

Tom

No trees were harmed in the making of this picture... ;-{D)

PS Rosin is also used by sportsmen, climbers etc to make their hands tacky it would seam,

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/accessories/grip-aids/rosin-powder-tacky-/prod_526.html

And by engravers/printers

http://www.artmondo.net/printworks/supplers/artools.htm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Seriously though, it could be a big problem for the folks who burn natural air freshners, joss sticks, make incense and the like.
Truthfully it's the first I've heard of it causing problems and it is such a basic ingredient. It's a fairly neutral but sweet smelling binder in many recipes.

The link, and the ones that it led to are interesting. Thanks for the info.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE