Collapsible water containers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Does anyone know if and where I can get hold of some kind of large jerry can type of thing that will collapse for easy transportation? It's not the kind of thing I've seen around very often, but if anyone has any information then I'd be really grateful to hear it!

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Polypins used for home brewing ?
In fact, you can get homebrew kit's in them - just add water, so you get the pleasure of cheap beer before reusing them... :)

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Thanks a lot, miyakoboy; those look just the job. I'll look around for a similar thing from a UK vendor.

innocent: Hah, the only thing I've ever brewed is mead, and if I'm ever to brew again then I'll only make... MORE MEAD! Although I might very well be able to use some polypins if I could get them cheap/free from someone I know. I'll look into it, thanks.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
There's a wonderful thing that Norrona used to make that was called a "water bag" - it was just that, a bag that had handles and was completely waterproof. It held about 20 litres and packed down like a small towel. They don't make it any more, and they sell for fortunes second hand - because everyone wants one. Apparently some Scandinavian sports shops sell a cheaper version, so that might be an avenue worth looking down.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Sounds obvious, but Ebay has a lot of these for sale.
Search for 'water carrier' and optionally add '5' or '10' to your search for different capacities - they tend to go for 2-5 quid, and I've bought one in the past that has been more than adequate.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
innocent bystander said:
Had a look:

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/item1212.htm

The law of economics i think. Be cheaper to get the katadyn i reckon..

Haha, and the actual Home Brew Shop is only down the road in Farnborough, too; It's where I got the stuff to make my mead!

I might look at that, but I'm pretty sure that that type of thing wouldn't really be strong enough for what I want to use it for.

Mauro

Aug 4, 2004
Cambridgeshire, UK
Rhapsody said:
Does anyone know if and where I can get hold of some kind of large jerry can type of thing that will collapse for easy transportation? It's not the kind of thing I've seen around very often, but if anyone has any information then I'd be really grateful to hear it!

I have used these:

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/cat_id/EQUICAMPWATE/product-Platypus-2.5-Ltr-Water-Bottle-22588.htm

I have jumped on it... to check they wont burst in my sack. They are indestructible!!!

The only thing, do not use water purifier tablets (iodine), did make it taste bad, and discolored the plastic.

Definitely a pruduct to recomand. Buy the 2.5L, they are better.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
2.5l isn't enough for what I want it for. Anyway, I popped into Millets in the end and got something similar to those on the ebay links that've been posted. It was a fiver and apparently holds 15l, but it looks nearer to 10 to me. Either way, I intend to get another one to hold water that hasn't been treated yet.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Rhapsody said:
2.5l isn't enough for what I want it for. Anyway, I popped into Millets in the end and got something similar to those on the ebay links that've been posted. It was a fiver and apparently holds 15l, but it looks nearer to 10 to me. Either way, I intend to get another one to hold water that hasn't been treated yet.

Twelve of us used this one between us for the week in Sweden (obviously it got filled up a few times a day but for one or two it would be ideal). It worked perfectly and was easy to use. At 10litres it's a good size. Charlie B.C (who brought it) had made a small mod to the top to let air in and it was great not to have to live from water bottles for the week....nice one Charlie B.C.

Bigger water bag - with tap type function ;)

Hope that helps,

Bam.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I noticed that there are collapsible water carriers in Asda at the minute. About £3 complete with a spout and a carry handle. Should have got one now I'm thinking about it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE