Collapsible Kettle - Anyone tried one yet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Er...thread title says it all really.

It's this thing I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacky-Practicals-Collapsable-Kettle-Green/dp/B006A7JF3A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_10

41QFZUKxD%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'd be looking to use it on a meths stove or hexy. What do you think?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cant say I've used one myself, looks kinda cool but maybe a bit gimmicky. I would be slightly concerned about the join between the rubber the metal base, especially with it being collapsible, might be a bit of a weak spot...

But neat idea none-the-less

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Neat idea, not as small as it should be though I don't reckon. Looking at the size of it going into that pack I'd like to see it a lot smaller.

It's probably a rubber vase with the steel capped over the bottom.

Might be fun for car camping trips but I'm not swayed at £30

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
My friend bought me one for christmas (apparently they were going cheap at millets, we first saw them at a country show for £30 ish) - it is a bit of a gimick but actually works really well. I tried it out on a little gas stove and it stayed very stable and poured really well. I have some silicone baking trays etc and they have lasted years (but are really discoloured) so I don't see why this kettle won't last a while. Mine is a pinky red colour which is a bit dodgy - all this silicone stuff seems to be in odd colours. I don't think I'd be off light weight camping with it , but for family camping and in my camper it's great. Perhaps they'll do folding pans next?!

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
Also - I don't think they are good with naked flames on the silicone so I don't think it would be OK on a Hexi Stove or campfire!!!

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
My thought was for day-trips, when I'd only want to boil water for a brew/instant soup - it was the flatness I fancied.

Though for such purposes, a smaller version would probably suit me better.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My thought was for day-trips, when I'd only want to boil water for a brew/instant soup - it was the flatness I fancied.

Though for such purposes, a smaller version would probably suit me better.

I use a pot just big enough to go round my Nalgene, I guess I don't lose any space that way. For other water carriers it could be handy.

I wonder if some of that 4" ally flexible hose would hold water if it had a base? Hmmm ... :news:

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Thanks for the quick response peeps.

I'll think on it some more - make sure I'm not being dazzled by bright colours and coolness!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE