Coleman sportster 2?

jim282

Jun 12, 2011
Lancashire
I have a small canister stove for brews/noodles/soups after walks/when fishing etc... but using it most weekends gas isn't cheap. I've been looking at the sportster 2 as maybe a cheaper alternative. It's never going to be shifted far from the car so weight isn't an issue.

I like the idea of unleaded as it's easy and cheap but not the idea of black pots/ nasty fumes/ fireballs! If it's running on Coleman/Primus fuel all the time it may get pricy depending on how much it gets through. Anyone any experience of this one? Any advice would be good. Also... does it need pre heating?

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I would imagine many on here have experience using these,
I have the Coleman 533. I got mine from a boot sale, (not used it much, I use it when I go fishing) it had some Coleman fuel in it. so I used it till it run out, yes its clean burning, but pricey.
I then tried Unleaded and experienced some flare ups, however this was in the first few times of using the stove, so didnt have any real knowledge or experience with it.
My pans got a little sooty, not too bad though. Unleaded stinks in my opinion. I didn't like the change from Coleman fuel to Unleaded.
I had read on this forum of other fuels that can be used, one being Aspen4, I Googled this fuel and found a supplier, http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-Aspen-Stockists I have used it a few times now and quite like it. I believe it was £17 for 5 liters which makes it approx half the price of Coleman fuel for the same quantity.
Aspen4 smells a little but nothing like as strong as Unleaded. these stoves don't need pre-heating, you soon learn if the flame flares up you require more pressure in the stove.
I like Aspen4 its clean burning works well.
Another fuel I read about on here is Tetrosil panel wipe, purchased from any motor factor I believe, my local has it for £22 for 5 liters But I have not tried it yet.

I think these stoves are good but its my first petrol/duel fuel so have nothing to compare it to.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE