Coleman Powerhouse 2 Dual Fuel, Duel Mantle lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Hi folks.

Was thinking about purchasing one from a local shop and just wondered if anyone has one.. Are they any use? Plan to use it in my poly cotton Lavvu in autum/winter, the summer house (doors open) in the evenings /winter, car camping (but obviously not inside the tent) and local meets.

Anyone with any experience of it (or similar)- would be great to hear from you.

Cheers,

KP

16ga

May 13, 2011
Canada
In my humble opinion you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Coleman lantern. The company built their reputation on them. I have about 8 or 10 Coleman lanterns and I love the things.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use them in things like a Juno 500 and 800, parachute, old cotton ridge tent. Make sure you have ventilation, and keep the lantern secure, more often than not we make a tripod to hang it from. Fuel wise car petrol stinks, you spill it and it takes an age to get rid of the smell plus the addatives are poo. I use Aspen 4T or panel wipe which are both clean burning fuels and don't clog the lantern up. I tend to use paraffin Vapalux/Bialaddin lanterns the most but just picked up a Coleman Northstar and I'm looking forward to using that next trip.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
For outside your tent, something like this is useful.

Inside a tipi/lavvu type of tent with a single pole, these are very good. The Snow Peak item is expensive for what it is - with a little effort you can make one up from suitable small bar or stout wire.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Cheers Bilmo- useful info. I did but a pole hanger but it didn't fit the diameter of the pole.

The one I got was not the powerhouse 2 , but model 285A. I am completely lost as to the difference between them I'm sure it will be more than suitable for the tasks.

Need to order spare mantles and some panel wipe or Aspen 4t- nearest supplier for that appears to be the legendary Strathbogie Saw Services! ( you will only get that if you listen to Never Ending Crap Records.... Sorry, North East Community Radio!)

Can't wait for it to get dark so I can fire it up!

ATB,

KP

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
For outside your tent, something like this is useful.

Inside a tipi/lavvu type of tent with a single pole, these are very good. The Snow Peak item is expensive for what it is - with a little effort you can make one up from suitable small bar or stout wire.

I made a couple of single pole hangers from heavy gauge wire coat hangers which are ideal for pressure lanterns down to a candle lamp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE