Coleman Libra x1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The wee Gelerts are fine, quite a bombproof tent actually, the only downside is you can't do anything other than lie down in them.

The Coleman looks a good buy at that price

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Hmmm. Choices Choices. Do you have any experience with either mate. If the gelerts are an OK tent, then I think I'd probably go for that one as it would fit in a side pouch easily (daysacks on yolk setup) and generally smaller and lighter.
The Coleman looks easier to setup though.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
It's looks good.
I like the Coleman products myself. I have the Avior X3 which is superb for both the kids (just under 2kg).
Worth looking at the Avior X1 too which is around the same price and weight.
Amazon reviews are good (just the two).

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
The Gelert solo comes at a cost. It's more like sleeping in a coffin and not much room for any kit.
The others can be pitched with the inner attached too.

Last edited:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Spot on. Just been checking out YouTube and the gelert doesn't look as good as the Coleman. I'll pop up to the shop later and have a look.

Knowing me I'll come back with something ridiculous and have sore knuckles again.

Either way I'll have a play and put up a review when I can.

The help and advice has been appreciated. Thank you. :thumbup::thumbup:

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Well, Ive bought the coleman, it looked bigger and more stable than the gelert. Ive just put it up in the garden, and for a first attempt, while using the instructions it took a little under 10 minutes. Now I know how its done, I'm sure it could be put up in less than 5 minutes. It really is a simple process, the pole is pre-attached, and both inner and fly are already attached too. I cant stress how simple and quick it is.

The pegs supplied are square aluminium jobbies, and just enough are supplied, so I'd suggest taking half a dozen more and some paracord, as there are attachments to fit more guy lines to make it super stable in the wind.

Its roomy for a 1 man tent inside, with space to keep your pack and belongings between the inner tent and fly sheet. The fly sheet is rated at 4m, ground sheet at 5m, so it should fair well all seasons.

Im gonna try it tonight and maybe put up a video and some piccies, but first impressions are excellent.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
I spent the night in the tent Thursday night. Using a cheapo foam mat and the ASDA sleep cell bag.

Wow, what a stable tough little tent. Roomy too. I'm 6'3", and weigh the same as a young buffalo, but had plenty of room.
I took my bergan with me (15 yards from back door), just to see if there was room for it with me. There was. between the inner and outer tent there is an area to keep your pack and shoes, they stayed dry all night.

During the night I had to strip down to my kefters, and unzip the ventilation zips on the bag as I was so hot. The bag is actually quite impressive, just far too bulky for a 2 season.

I had a great nights sleep. there was not a hint of condensation on the inner tent, but plenty on the outer, this however had gone after half an hour of being empty, outer door and mosi net zipped up.

I left the tent up all Friday, and took it down about 10 minutes ago. Again, no sign of ingress of water. No condensation, sleeping bag dry etc. It took me longer to remove the pegs than it did to fold and pack the tent away.

I erected it again, after packing it up to see how long it would take. Very impressed, it was up and pegged down in less than 2 minutes (guy lines not included this took an extra minute).

I can heartily recommend this tent to anyone looking for something tough and will take just about most things British weather can throw at it. Only downsize is that packed up, it wont fit into a PLCE side pocket. Otherwise brilliant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE