coldsteel bushman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i know its slightly weird looking but i like the look of it..

the question is

is it any good i like the idea of possibly mounting it to a stick for foraging and maybe storing a bit of kit in the bottom.

will it withstand batoning due to the hollow handle?

also the bowie or normal version?

Hun7er

Jun 14, 2009
Harrogate
Mounting on a stick check, i have done that and it makes a very good spear

batoning check, they are strong as hell check out a site called knifetests.com and watch the destruction tests

i went for normal but i think the bowie is good, one thing i will say is that it is quite a big knife and its almost in the middle ground for uses,
i.e to big to carry on you, to small for any fine work, etc. but it will last along time and is reliable so thats something.

hope this helped in some way

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The knfie is a beast mate, people rag the hell out of it on youtube, it functions as a spear really well from what I've seen as it can bend loads and still retain natural form afterwards! the steel has been tempered down a bit so it can take a solid beating and people regularly store stuff in the handles, you can wrap paracord on the handle too to make it more grippy for battoning and chopping.

All the reasons why I'm waiting for my Bushman to come in the post from HH right now. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P328MBJWjis < this guys reviews are entertaining and he gives the knive some abuse!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
Not trying to be contentious here, but what do you plan on doing when

I'm trying to work out what that would entail and struggling a bit trying to avoid making it sound sarcastic, which it isn't meant to be.

see someone using it to lop off high fruits in bushes rather than risk life and limb climbing :D also can use it like that to get fungi down etc

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
I bought the bowie version earlier this year and used it for some light work on Saturday. Here's a little vid of me doing some light batoning with it.
[video=youtube;QSJJt_B4-Q4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSJJt_B4-Q4[/video]

I'm really happy with it. It comes shaving sharp. Wrap the handle in something to suit you and it's a good, hardcore tool, cheap too.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
thanks i think i am sold on it just need to decide whether i want the bowie or the normal one. I seen a vid on youtube regarding using it as a throwing knife it was the bowie version does the normal version throw well too?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The non Bowie version has a slightly longer handle and apparently a very slightly thicker blade. Heinnie Haynes is a good place to get one but they don't sell the Bowie.

I think they throw quite similarly.

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
I have the bowie version, had it for 4 years now. It's incredible tough, nice and light despite it's size and holds a nice edge. I have not used it as a spear, as I have had no need, and that's not my thing I guess, but it would be easy to convert it to a spear head. I have used it for batoning and it has stood up to that no prob, although I did put a slight ding in the blade when I miscalcutlated a hit and the blade went through the wood and into a stone. Owners stupidity, no fault with the blade.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
mine came today, I'll get some unboxing pictures up later when I recharge my camera as it died at the last photo.

surprisingly light and very cool!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
thanks for all the info ill be getting one next pay day me thinks nice to get some words of confidence prior to a hasty purchase

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
This is the knife after a hour in the garden chopping seasoned branches, I put a arm length branch in the handle to try it out..it is a right job getting the stick out but it added length and chopping abilities to it as the handle is somehwat slippy. I'm going to get some gold club handle material for it as the paracord wraps go inside the handle..

anyway, the best picture I could take in 5 minutes ;)

Bushman1.jpg

sheath is pretty neat also!

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Ive had a bowie version for a few years now and love it very light in the had but still chops very well.
Ive heat shrinked my handle fora better grip :)
There fine for detailed work to here's a spoon that I roughed out and carved with the Bushman and tool finished it with the same knife only used a frost spoon knife for the bowl :)
DSCF0011-2.jpg

DSCF0013-2.jpg

DSCF0015-3.jpg

With its wide blade it very easy to choke right up on the blade for fine tip work :)

Cheers Russ

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Heat shrinked the handle? like the tubing on cables?

what size did you use??

Last edited:

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Hi sorry just noticed your reply
I used some heatshirink that I has left over from covering my canoe pole :)
Sorry I cant remember what the size was.

Russ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE