Cold weather sleeping bag advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I don't know about the nanok range but have a look at the highlander phantom 400.
I have one of these,they're not a famous brand but are extremely wel made.Far superior to snugpak in my opinion.They are extremely warm and comfortable.,the only drawback as with any extreme sleeping bag is size and weight.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
British Army Arctic bag, about £20 is super.

this is what i have, great bag, centre zip too so handy for tree dwelling. I have been in the cold with it, but the coldest i have used it was -5c.

I would recommend one of these http://lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Exped.html keeping your ase away from the ground is paramount at those temperatures.

I imagine you will be wearing base and maybe even mid layer clothing while sleeping, i would advise you to go to a shop and try the bags while wearing what you will be sleeping in, make sure you have some room or in my case FIT LOL

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I have the Snugpak Antartic RE and according to manufacturers it will go down to -50C. Ok even if you take that with a healthy dose of salt it should be very comfy and warm down to -20C no problems. I'm about 5' 9" with a 50" girth so added the expanda panel and there was oodles of space for me in there with the zip closed and the baffle up around my neck. At the last New Year's meet at Comriecroft I tried this out without any layers just my skiddies and it was real warm and cosy with the temperature down to -6C. It was expensive though at £120 but well worth every penny in my book, I would heartily recommend these to anyone.

I have the Snugpak Antartic RE and according to manufacturers it will go down to -50C. Ok even if you take that with a healthy dose of salt it should be very comfy and warm down to -20C no problems. I'm about 5' 9" with a 50" girth so added the expanda panel and there was oodles of space for me in there with the zip closed and the baffle up around my neck. At the last New Year's meet at Comriecroft I tried this out without any layers just my skiddies and it was real warm and cosy with the temperature down to -6C. It was expensive though at £120 but well worth every penny in my book, I would heartily recommend these to anyone.

It's cheaper than the £400 I first thought I was going to have to pay and it sounds like a winner. All my army buddies swear by snugpack. Thanks dude

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
agreed the current issue arctic sleeping bag is value for money if a little heavy for the temp rating.
also the early ones from around 1990 were made by mountain equipment.

One going on ebay at the moment with a free goretex bivvy bag and a hammock thrown in.

Got to be worth keeping an eye on Ditch Monkey, even if you have to sell the bivvy for £30 after ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180399322416&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Missed it thanks for the heads up though. Have blown all my salary on the 50% sale in
the snowboard shop so going to wait till October to buy a new bag, it I's getting a bit emotional though as my summer bag is very thin and the zip is broken. Night time temps are already in single digits.

One going on ebay at the moment with a free goretex bivvy bag and a hammock thrown in.

Got to be worth keeping an eye on Ditch Monkey, even if you have to sell the bivvy for £30 after ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180399322416&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Missed it thanks for the heads up though. Have blown all my salary on the 50% sale in
the snowboard shop so going to wait till October to buy a new bag, it I's getting a bit emotional though as my summer bag is very thin and the zip is broken. Night time temps are already in single digits.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
For my money Pete Hutchinson Designs PHD are hard to beat for quality and sheer warmth (Pete was the founder of Mountain Equipment way back when no one did Himalayan climbing without his kit) The stuff is all still made in Stalybridge.
I've no connection with the company, just a very satisfied customer. I've a Mininmus down pullover I live in during winter. Not good with sparks though.
Their sale starts 8th Sept 09 for a heads up
http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/special-offers.php?cat=79

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE