cold over nighter!(pic ridiculously heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Yesterday Myself and Pete (i camp @ butlins) walked up to the permission for an over nighter
Pete at the start of our stroll
P2110301.jpg

Myself fully laden at the start of the stroll
P2110302.jpg

It was still nice and snowy on our walk
P2110303.jpg

The frost looked very picturesque on the trees
P2110305.jpg

There was plenty of rabbit tracks to be seen on the snow
P2110308.jpg

A nice view to the entrance of the permission
P2110309.jpg

The walk in from my house to the permission had taken us approx. one hour and a half not bad considering we had carried far more weight this time than when we walked up for the day last month.
Meanwhile Alex(xander) had driven up via mine where he had collected some bits we were swapping. he actually passed us and offered us a lift but frankly we felt it would be cheating.
So while Alex made the fire( we take it in turns so we can all practice our skills)
P2110311.jpg

Pete and I had a warm drink
P2110312.jpg

Then I started splitting some wood for the fire
P2110313.jpg

Meanwhile Alex had a break and watched/listened to me explain the method of splitting I was using. note the safety distance involved so no danger to Alex
P2110316.jpg

Then he had a go with the hatchet we had traded
P2110319.jpg

Meanwhile Pete had got another brew going
P2110321.jpg

I fried up some Chorizo as a warm and tasty snack
P2110322.jpg

Shortly after this Steve (Mesquite) arrived and we spent a while unloading his car, this took a little while :)
Mesquite and Alex set up the communal tarp
P2110325.jpg

While Pete sawed some more fire wood(fire wood was a major activity/priority I can tell you!)
P2110326.jpg

We cooked up some ration pack meals I had been sent to review
P2110331.jpg

The meal Thai green vegetable curry and rice (very tasty)
P2110333.jpg

Then we had some veal steaks Alex had brought along
P2110335.jpg

After Alex had nipped back to mine and collected a thicker sleeping bag and roll mat for us to use(it was getting much colder than the last forecast we had seen had predicted) Alex went home leaving Mesquite, Pete and Myself to stay over night.
I prepared some sweet bannock with chopped mixed nuts and mixed dried fruits
P2110339.jpg

O.K so it burnt a little but added carbon merely aids digestion and the bits that where not charred were very tasty, its something I shall try again but pay more attention to the cooking of it
Pete cooked up some rice to go with the chilli Mesquite had brought with him
P2110340.jpg

I'm not sure if you can make this out in the next picture but there was ice forming on the top of the water in the billy can
P2110342.jpg

It was by now frankly getting a tad nippy so we stoke up the fire and spent the evening keeping warm and chatting
P2110344.jpg

We turned in around half eleven me bundled up in my Czech bedroll, a sleeping bag from Woodlore and with two balaclava's wrapped around my face to protect it from a potential relapse of bells palsy (last time i camped in similar temperatures my face broke, I've had bells palsy three times in two years so no chances are being taken)
Pete had a bivi bag the sleeping bag I had brought with intentions of using, his sleeping bag and was plenty warm enough, Pete woke several times in the night to refuel the fire and in fact lit the fire again at one point in the night using his spark stick, cotton wool and shavings from dry fire wood. This he did from his sleeping bag so he didn't get coldgoodjob
Pete was woken by a blackbird running over his face(he was huddled up in his bivi bag so the bird didn't realise it was his face)
I woke up at twenty past eight to find that Pete and Mesquite had put the kettle on(what can i say there is an eight month old baby at my house so any chance of sleep is taken gratefully!)
P2120345.jpg

Pete checked the football scores and we all found out Whitney Houston had passed on.
P2120346.jpg

Pete then realised the blackbird was shivering and not looking at all happy so he fed it some bread crumbs
P2120347.jpg

This is Pete's sleeping area he built a two sided reflector to offer protection from the cold breeze that was getting down his back and the other side gave a decent heat throw back to where I was sleeping
P2120348.jpg

We had ourselves a decent breakfast of sausage in rolls and bacon in tortilla wraps
P2120349.jpg

before we packed it all up and were collected by my old man and headed back to my folks for a roast dinner.

I would also like to point out that this was Pete's first time sleeping in a bivi bag and under a tarp as he usually uses a tent so a huge amount of respect for doing so in the coldest conditions this winter -minus ten degrees at 8pm!
A good night and nice to get out in the snow

hope you all enjoy the photos as much as we all enjoyed our time in the woods

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
looks like a cracking night out, i've still not managed a night out in the snow yet this year (looking at the forecast i'm not going to either).

that blackbird would've been much happier with a bit of bacon/suasage/dried fruit......blackbirds are thrushes, all thruses are mainly insectivores but also eat berries. so pretty much anything that you'd got with you apart from breadcrumbs would've been good (chorizo might be a bit spicey, some birds react really quite badly to spicey, i guess that its the capsicum but i'm not sure), good effort though :)

stuart

looks like a cracking night out, i've still not managed a night out in the snow yet this year (looking at the forecast i'm not going to either).

that blackbird would've been much happier with a bit of bacon/suasage/dried fruit......blackbirds are thrushes, all thruses are mainly insectivores but also eat berries. so pretty much anything that you'd got with you apart from breadcrumbs would've been good (chorizo might be a bit spicey, some birds react really quite badly to spicey, i guess that its the capsicum but i'm not sure), good effort though :)

stuart
we left the remainder of the chorizo suspended from a tree in part as a thanks to the woods and partly as a meal for cold birds

fantastic pics
thank you

Nice one Sam, a cracking write up, and looked like great fun :)
it was a really good night out
wow thats the way to do it..
why thank you i try my best, practice in the winter and summer is a piece of cake is my humble opinion

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Nice one Sam and everyone else too. A lot whiter there than here and, I suspect, a lot colder too :yikes: ~ and the cold can make for some interesting times :D :yikes::rofl: .

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Magic trip Sam, some great piccies there mate

Nice scenery, good food and good company, what else do you need? :)

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Great pics mate! Good to see the real MEN getting out there and tuffin it out!! Im currently dribbling from all the food you took up with you.. looks like a right banquet!! :)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Great pics & write up, ........My arteries hardened just looking at all that grub..:D

I take my hat of to you dudes, I was considering going out for a one nighter in the snow but with night temperatures falling into minus double figures, I'm just not equiped for it,.......................or man enough ;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
T'was a great night... thoroughly enjoyed myself :)

It was so cold that when I popped out to my car by the time I got back to the fire I had icicles hanging off my moustache :yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE