Coil Baskets from New Zealand Flax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
We have a mature New Zealand Flax plant in the garden which needed some pruning recently. This left us with a large number of long leaves which I sometimes twist into extremely strong cordage.

I've been meaning to have a go at making a coil basket and so tried it out with the flax. I split the leaves several times lengthways and twisted them as I made the basket.
To hold the thing together I used thin strips pulled from the leaves as thread and a bone needle to stitch through the basket.

During the construction of the first basket I got plenty of 'experience' at the technique and so the second basket is a better effort.

Twisting the material probably was not needed and would have made construction faster, something to try next time.

Basket1a.jpg
Basket1b.jpg
Basket1c.jpg

Basket2a.jpg
Basket2b.jpg
Basket2c.jpg

A very relaxing project and a new skill learnt. :D

Stu

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
great baskets. NZ flax seems to be a favorite in public spaces at the moment. I have one in the garden and almost all the cordage I use at home is made from it.It is very stong!

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Looking good there Stu, the second one is looks far more in tune compared to the first. Well done on spotting a resource and learning to utilize it, literally on your doorstep.:).
Looks a good knock up for gathering leaves or mushrooms.
I want to learn how to do that.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Thanks for the feedback folks, glad you like the look of them.

I think that I need to do everything at least twice. First time to make the mistakes and the second time to make the actual object.

A couple of quotes I like.
"The man/woman who never made a mistake, never made anything."
"Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want." :D

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE