Coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You have to be hard up to enjoy Starbucks. Is that the same as the coffee beans that they pick out of cat poo?
Tim Horton's an order of magnitude better. Best at 2X strong, made at home.
Honestly, the local dark roast = "Tradition," is really good.
Kicking Horse "Grizzly" comes from 500 miles south of me, just as good.
I've got a hang up about buying local, don't think I'm really missing out on any big city nonsense.
A week and I'm trying to figure out how to get home.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What ever turns your crank, so be it. The roasters here are maybe a mile down the road.
Several shops retailing their coffee. I won't even let the dogs eat cat crap.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Most run-of-the-mill Canadian beers are no better, at all. Fizzy barley pop. Molson Canadian, Labatt's Blue and others.

Fortunatley, my British SIL has done a fine job of educating the old man regarding craft beers. Turns out that it's dark ale that I really like.
Better yet, I can remember that it's dark ale that I like.
90 minutes down the road in Valemount is the Three Ranges Brewery. They make "Swamp Donkey Ale." That, I like. Swamp donkeys are good to eat.

Whats the British and Belgian beer selection like over there?

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Not heard of that! but like the sound of that! so just ordered some "Roast to order, Ethiopia Nefas Farm epic seasonal crafted coffee Beans"
With tastes of winey, stone fruits with low acidity & dark chocolate (that sounds like my cup of coffee)
I will give it a go. Have to say though It's not cheap @ £6.50 & £3.00 for postage
and I have no idea how much I have just bought.
what's your preferred grumpy mule coffee then john?

Grumpy mule coffee As recommended by Johnnyboy! My beans have just arrived, (roasted on the 12 April,) fresh ground & into the pot, percolated and sampled.
The verdict :~ SWMBO says " It was lovely, just as nice as our Usual Kenyan AA" from Fressco Gourmet coffee which also arrived @ the same time today, we have been in coffee free Zone with no coffee in the house for a while now as we are both on weight loss, so we have been abstaining from coffee, I too think its on a par taste wise with our usual coffee. Even though Grumpy mule postage is dearer the coffee beans are cheaper so it balances out more or less the same price wise, to our usual coffee too, so it's thumbs up for grumpy Mule coffee, cheers Johnny boy.
posting on bushcraft is thirsty work time for amother grumpy mule me thinks...?

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Coffee, the drink of tired goat herders and philosophers!

I love coffee. In the wilderness, at work, as soon as I wake up in the weekend.
I do not mind which brand it is as long as it is a darker roast.
I think it is the roasting grade and brew technique that is more important.

Jamaican coffee is good, but a bit overrated, Imho. I love Cuban coffee which we can get here. Superior to the other stuff. Not sure why.

I tried the hyped Kopi Luwak a couple of times. First time I did not get it. Nor the second time. Then on the next time I got it. Superb marketing and hupe building. Some clever marketeer got a brilliant idea and people swallowed it.

Do you like coffee?
Please do not mention Instant Coffee.....

Anyone else think Nestle Nido in coffee makes it tastes absolutely Boggin? I like my coffee with milk in, I tried Nido & it just seemed to curdle instantly

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Anything by Nestle is barred in this house , but the co-op powdered milk does the same , its kind of lumpy but does the job ...

Good on bannock!👍

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I'm not much of a coffee connoisseur, for me it's a cappuccino from our Bosch Tassimo machine.

Now malt whisky, that I am a connoisseur of, but that's for another thread 😊

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Absolutely indeed! I love malts from all regions of Scotland (and Japan), but I'm particularly fond of Islay malts, each and every one a smoky peaty delight...

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I used to use a lot of powdered milk, and found out that it was best if dissolved first in a bit of cold water.

cheers Janne, I wondered if that might work, I have only just started using Nido for the first time.... as recommended by fellow bush crafters as being the best powdered milk,
Tiill now I have only been mixing with cold water & have used it a couple of times on muesli
I had the idea of adding Nido, sugar & coconut milk powder with muesli in a zip lock bag to make (just add water) muesli rat packs..... 1 kilo coconut milk only arrived today so not tried the muesli rat packs thing yet, but ruined a perfectly good cup of coffee earlier today, turns out pouring hot coffee directly onto Nido just doesn't work....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Any of you eat "CoffeeMate?" Looks like greasy chalk dust for "coffee whitener."
Fantastic flame retardant used by commercial pyrotechnicians.

I have been know to regularly buy Nescafe' Instant Coffee in pairs of 260 cup tin cans.
Wanting roast beef? Roll it in instant coffee before it goes into the oven. Ditto bison, but I have better rubs.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just knew that the mention of Instant Coffee would get a rise out of you. The devil made me do it.
Bunch of ground cumin in there does no harm.

I traded recipes with a bigshot BBQ dude in Seattle for his roast rub with orange zest and espresso coffee.

Most kinds of roasted bean coffees give me indigestion like the dry heaves. I have a select few for real treats
is about how I have to take them. The local kids roasting coffee beans here in McBride sell what my guts can tolerate.

CoffeeMate. I'm a CDN licensed pyro for commercial and for film & television. Also a card for close proximity theatrical pyro.
I'm bound not to explain how CoffeeMate is used.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Any of you eat "CoffeeMate?" Looks like greasy chalk dust for "coffee whitener."
Fantastic flame retardant used by commercial pyrotechnicians.....

Ironically we banned one brand of artificial coffee whitener in the prison because the inmates used it to start fires. I can't remember what brand it was though.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll bet it was the original formulation of CoffeeMate. They changed it to make it harder to burn.
Can retard the flash speed of other things as it does burn very, very well with a burnt milk aroma.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE