Codd Bottle

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Friend wants one. Tengu sighs and says she will see what she can do.

(A codd bottle is one of those with a marble in it.)

I have a lot of things to trade.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'm yer huckleberry 😉
u2a8a2a3.jpg

yquja8en.jpg

urebuzup.jpg

Trade value can go from a couple of quid to fifty quid.....just depends on what she wants ?
Just a codd , a name specific ? Pictorial ? Coloured marble ? Patent ? And there's dozens more options....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I think I may have spotted a old beer bottle with said marble. I will have a look Tue.

Just to be anal😆.....ale bottles never came with a marble stopper back in the day. Beer bottles were corked or threaded with a bakelite or wooden top like this ....
u5e4e5a2.jpg

And porter or stout usually came in stone bottles similar to ginger beer bottles.....😉

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
i used to do a fair bit of digging. i mainly metal detect now. im sure i have seen your name on the uk bottle forum. i havent been on though for a long time. i would still dig but not many decent tips about round here :(

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Just to be anal.....ale bottles never came with a marble stopper back in the day. Beer bottles were corked or threaded with a bakelite or wooden top like this ....
u5e4e5a2.jpg

And porter or stout usually came in stone bottles similar to ginger beer bottles.....

Not a beer bottle then, it was fairly tall clear glass bottle no label

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I knew you lot would be good!

Let me think as to what I have to swap

any decent one will do. Has to be shiny

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just to be anal��.....ale bottles never came with a marble stopper back in the day. Beer bottles were corked or threaded with a bakelite or wooden top like this ....
u5e4e5a2.jpg

And porter or stout usually came in stone bottles similar to ginger beer bottles.....��

Beer was often called "Wallop" but was not fizzy enough to hold one of Codd's marbles in place... only fizzy pop type drinks could work in a Codd bottle.
This is why the phrase "Coddswallop" for "rubbish" came about....

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Beer was often called "Wallop" but was not fizzy enough to hold one of Codd's marbles in place... only fizzy pop type drinks could work in a Codd bottle.
This is why the phrase "Coddswallop" for "rubbish" came about....

Mmmm Not heard that one before John.
Imho coddswallop came from the action of walloping the top of the codd to release the marble. A proper codd opener was usually a small wooden dish , that was placed on top of the rim and 'walloped' hence coddswallop. Wallop being to smack and not rubbish .

Just my opinion (after spending years digging / collecting and studying the treasures of the tips .

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Ps......the term talking coddswallop was taken to mean talking rubbish.....as thas talkin coddswallop .....meanin your talk is full of air with no substance......Just like the hiss from a fizzy bottle 😉

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
A rare patent bottle called a 'valve codd' (could be a side valve or a front valve (nicknamed a Cyclops codd) ......was invented to save having to wallop your codd and also as a safety feature......they never really caught on though.

Here's one of my busted collection......a rare valve codd with coursing dog pictorial from Clitheroe. S.Speak
ave3aza9.jpg

uga8azu7.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE