Coastal Foraging...

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
A wonderful thing happened today...

While going to collect some Marsh Samphire again, I noticed a young lad (late teens to early twenty's) wandering the area I had been to a few day's before. We got chatting after discovering we where both there for the same thing, and he told me it’s his main employment.

He sells Samphire, along with other sea greens to local restaurants (along with mushrooms ect) and kindly took some time out to show me a few things that I didn't know where blatantly in front of me!

I was introduced to Sea Aster, Sea Blite and a thick green stemmed grass that tastes just like Coriander that I cant remember the same of sadly.

It was great to see a young lad with such an abundance of knowledge and he was a pleasure to chat with. I have now ordered HFW's (well, John Wright) edible seashore.

The thing that most surprised me about costal foraging is that it’s right in front of you, staring you in the eyes!

I'm looking forward to getting the book and having a long day learning the basics.

I didn’t even get the chance to catch the lads name, but I wish him a successful future.

al.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Days like that will stick with you forever

I once met an old guy up a mountain in the Lakes and he spent the best part of an hour telling me all about the history of the mines up there, the mist even lifted at one point ans the sun came out :)

The Edible Seashore is the best of the River Cottage books I've read, Fraser from Coastal Survival is writing a book at the minute which should be a great addition to the bookshelf.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers guy's... I'll look into something for next year as I'm pretty tied up with the Moot, racing and family life this one. I'm actually looking forward to winter in a bizarre way, I seem to have more spare time.

It really set me up yesterday. There was such an abundance of things new :)
Rich, thats pretty much how it was. Would have been nice to spend an hour or two chatting, but sadly I had to go to work... Always the way!

al.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Rich - if you're interested in the Cumbrian mines there are a whole host of books on them. Some are written by the local mine history group. Well wroth a read. I have the coniston Coppermines one and there are really a huge abundance of stuff in that area to see. Also a friend once got someone to take my old mountaineering group down some of the mines. She worked for LCC in planning and knew the guy in SLDCC or CCC who dealt with the mines and safety stuff. He took the group all down and provided hard hats and mining lights too. I couldn't make it which really pee'd me off.

If you are ever in Ambleside and are interested in the mines and geology then check out that little book shop kind of opposite from the Climbers Shop. They have a geology section for local and some national geology books. If they haven't got it they have a really fast book ordering service and I think will even post it to you if you are only visiting the area on holiday. Nowt to do with them just really like the little book treasure trove. I have the BGS geology book on the rock morphology of northern England. All those exciting coloured geological maps that pull out for reference. Green cover one.

I should really get a book like that as I live about 1/4 mile from the coast if not even closer. The Morecambe Bay no less. Reckon the Morecambe Bay area is purpose made for coastal foraging. I know some spots good for samphire from some people I know but I reckon it will be all over the place. I can be at Arnside in 15 minutes or over Glasson Docks area and even further in summat like 30 to 45 minutes. All got areas for foraging I think. Not looked into it though.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
On the strength of the Rec's from this thread, Ive just ordered the Edible Seashore, River Cottage no5.

[I dont know why Im wondering this, but Is it more biased toward the southern coastline of the UK?]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE