Coastal foraging west Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
September next year we are planning a trip to west Scotland. We will be camping and living on the coast fors even days, mainly subsisting on foraged food (seafish, shellfish, seaweeds and other coastal plants). Can anybody tell us which areas are the best? We hope to find a location south of Oban and preferably not to far from Glasgow.
Paules Dukker, The Netherlands

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Make sure you get the heads up on algal borne toxins for the area you plan to visit, it's only filter feeding shellfish that are affected but there are already a few warnings up on a couple of parts of the west coast at the moment, it's not going to get any better as the season advances. A little homework should put you right though.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Agree with everything posted, only to say that the style of lobster pot linked to, don't expect to be catching many lobsters with it. Maybe more crabs and the like.

Consider taking a mask/snorkel/fins, and try freediving for scallops?

What ever you go with, do let us know how you get on.

J

Thanks for all the replies.
Is anybody familiar with the sea around Tarbert and more to the north? I think it's called Loch Fyne.
I am now also looking at the month april. According to the edible seashore april would be fine for shellfish. Is this correct? I have heard that they are not fully grown yet. Does this also apply for seafish?
I have been looking for information on algae on the internet, but haven't found anything useful. Can anybody lead me to a site?
Paules Dukker, the Netherlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE