Coal and Sulphur

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 15, 2012
Yorkshire
An old lady that I know asked if I wants to clear some coal that had been sat in cellar and was no longer needed. I just been around to see how much there was and noticed some white stuff that seemed to have leeched out. It looks for salt or sulphure?

Question: is it useful for anything? Fire lighting? Or deadly poison!

Many thanks

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Whats IIRC gunpowder? never heard of it before?? :)

or even just the IIRC part - can't quite make that one out [insert scratches head smiley]

Sep 15, 2012
Yorkshire
Thanks for the thoughts I'll be nipping over this weekend and scrape the stuff up and subject to a barrage of tests - my daughter who's just started her chemistry gcse, an old chemistry set of mine, my nose and a spark. Will let you know.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Coal doesn't go off. Its survived being buried for a few million years or more. Its survises immersion is seawater for a millenia or ten. Its good. It also costs £300 a tonne or more. Is it useful? Well yes - for coal fires.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Don't you need a bit of urea to o with it to make the bang stuff? Guano works if I remember my Startrek correctly:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No it isn't as it happens - far from it in fact. However I suspect this is proably not a good place to disucess formulae for such substances

Sep 15, 2012
Yorkshire
Salt petre was my first thought. Any other thoughts on what it is? Or if it's useful the stuff on the coal. P.s. I wondered if the white stuff was useful not the coal that it'll keep m'stove burning over winter. It'll burn better being free

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Doubt its saltpetre to be honest. Could be anything - salts leaching out of damp walls and dripping on the coal springs to mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE