cloudy blackberry whisky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Sometimes it's because the alcohol has dissolved and extracted pectin from the fruit. If it doesn't settle out that's probably what it is. It doesn't do any harm, it might thicken the liquid slightly. In wine you can use pectolase enzyme (available from homebrew shops) which literally digests the pectin and breaks it down but I don't think it works in higher alcoholic concentration.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
If it settles pour slowly.

I use a funnel and a square of kitchen paper. If really cloudy replace the paper each time the funnel empties.

I usually do the funnel over an empty bottle and keep the filtered stuff together incase of a disaster and it all get contaminated again.

Works a treat with respberry vodka etc.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I'm late with this comment but here goes. If a light sediment has settled in the bottle of the demijohn, the best way to get the clear wine out is by siphoning it out carefully. You can get a siphon tube with a little gadget attachment that you lower to the bottom of the demijohn and this helps you siphon the clear wine out without disturbing the sediment. Have a look at this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Brew-Wine-Making-Balliihoo®/dp/B001PYWO9A
HTH.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE