Close encounters with bears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
-Out exploring the military reservation yesterday and was lucky enough to spot bear tracks (a very young bear's tracks) along the bank at one of the ponds we explored.
-A couple of years ago on a hike (alsoon the military reservation) found a tree with a bear rub about 5 & 1/2 to 6 feet off the ground.
-A few years ago had to stop the truck to wait for an adult bear to cross the road. He was in no hurry.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
A few years ago we were following a gold d of e group off the hill in the Asturias in Spain.
We saw a jeep drive down a track a few hundred metres.below us. When we reached the track there were tyre tracks from the jeep with a nice fresh bear print on top.
We chatted with the group later and they'd crossed the track just before the jeep had passed so the bear must have ambled through between us.
They do keep a very low profile in spain!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
In the exact same same as we heard the wolves we had a bear walk straight through our camp.

It was curious and a bit apprehensive, but it had a good sniff around and was close enough that i could smell it.

Fantastic experience.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
It's an old story on the forum now about my wife's encounter in the Rockies.
We were travelling across the US for 10 weeks camping in the National Forests. In one remote area my wife got out of the tent for the usual night-time reason and came back to tell me she had just frightened off a bear. I refused to believe her and rolled over and went back to sleep. I had to apologise next morning when we found bear prints all round our campsite.
I'm not surprised that she could frighten off a bear: at times she scares the hell out of me!

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
When we lived in British Columbia we had to think about bears whenever we were oot and aboot.

Walking and exploring the area of the West Coast Trail in the late 80s (before you had to book) we were following a trail from Carmanah Creek when my wife spotted movement in the trees. She took a photo before she told me (nice priorities, eh?:)) then we moved off quickly and quietly. The photo was of a young black cub up a tree. The camera's range finder registered 12 metres. Very fortunately for us, mama didn't see us so close to her little darling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE