Cloak/blanket/poncho options...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...did people ever actually rely on cloaks as essential clothing? or is it just films making it all look like a great idea..."

Yes, Churches across Europe are full of statues, paintings and woodcuts depicting pilgrims walking from all parts of Europe to Rome, Santiago or wherever, most tend to be wrapped in a cloak of some sort.

uZkUO.jpg

Not a cloak as such but I have had a few decent nights sleep wearing by Swanndri bushshirt, it looks fairly traditional, it will get by in light rain but I haven't really had to use it in a torrential downpour. I have a 58 pattern poncho that I have used with it, the two work well together but are far from lightweight.

swannie.jpg

A new Swanndri is an expensive item, however I saw that someone here had posted a thread about making your own.

You could always opt for a sheepskin cloak. Cosy!

FKxo6.jpg

:)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I bought a stockman at a boot sale a week or so ago but not used it yet. It comes down to my ankles. It weighs a ton (well, 2.5kg) and is pretty warm so maybe for autumn/winter. Having used wax cotton before I know they it is not breathable so the coat will be a lot warmer and less versatile than a poncho/cape. I see as ideal for a static camp in bad weather.

I've never owned one yet but I've seen them completely unlined and also with various removable liners; from quilted (similar to a barbour liner) to full on sheepskin lining. Which is yours? Or am I being overly optimistic thinking that weight you quoted includes a lining?

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've never owned one yet but I've seen them completely unlined and also with various removable liners; from quilted (similar to a barbour liner) to full on sheepskin lining. Which is yours? Or am I being overly optimistic thinking that weight you quoted includes a lining?

This has a light cotton liner covering the chest,shoulders and arms.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I have put together a Birrus Britannicus . Going to be wearing it for my handfasting ceremony Because it will keep me warm , looks the part for the day & will help keep the sword tucked away out of sight . As we're holding it in cornwall we will be visiting a beach we like to forage for mussels . so it will also be handy for keeping the little one warm while us bigger kids clamber rocks for the perfect mussels . YUM YUM . :campfire:

http://uniforma-army.ru/italy_rim1.php

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE