Clematis

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
hi, today i was out for a walk and i found some clematis i have never used clematis to light a fire before so i got out my processed flint and steel and tried to get it to light. i must have been there 10 minute before giving up. even after i tried to light it with a ember from the fire, it still didn't light.

am i doing something dumb?? :?: :?: :?:

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
which part did you use,the bark ?did you buff it up ? it should go up easily if you prep it properly or are you talking about the plant down? which is more a flash job ,better charred/scorched first , cheers al

jakunen

Native
Ok, if you're using the bark, make sure you take only the bits that are already coming off from the stem as they tend to be better, and try to take them from the underneath or more sheltered side, the other sides tend to be damp.

Also make sure its not covered in moss or lichen. Buff it up if you can, although if its really dry (not likely this time of year) it'll catch anyway.

I'm not so keen on the down as I don't find it catches very well. May just be me, but it find thistle down far superior.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE