Cleaning your bushcraft knife - Video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benn25

Sep 30, 2015
london
Hi guys. My knife was in a terrible state with loads of crap all over it. I tried everything to clean it off with no success. I stopped short of using wire wool or a wire scourer because I came across this product via Zed Outdoors/Ben Orford just in time. Its called Garryflex and wont leave unsightly scratch marks. Here is a little demo/unashamed plug :p I did showing how good it actually is. Pretty inexpensive aswell and does a mighty fine job.

[video=youtube;IYWuWYJyPJY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYWuWYJyPJY[/video]

benn25

Sep 30, 2015
london
None at all. Although not sharp in the slightest the edge still took tiny chunks out of the block when I accidentally went over it. I think next time Ill go down the edge instead of across it, so to minimise this issue.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Looks the same as the sanding blocks you can get in Wilkinsons, two for a quid and do the same job, used them myself.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Lansky has something similar too, the Eraser block.

Can also be used to clean fine sharpening stones, and ceramic rods.

jius

Apr 12, 2015
All Over
Magic Eraser blocks are just melamine sponges so are mild abrasives, perhaps like middle of 00 and 0000 steel wool, just without the rusting. For some bits I have just Jif/Cif as mild abrasive (works wonders in car windscreen too), or a cheap toothpaste. All these cheap as chips in any Home Bargains, B&M, Poundland etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Clean with water, fairy liquid and a scotchbrite pad, wipe a bit of oil on a sheet of kitchen roll. Done. Don't really need to buy special tools. If its good enough for kitchen knives that prep our food, its good enough for belt knives.

benn25

Sep 30, 2015
london
Clean with water, fairy liquid and a scotchbrite pad, wipe a bit of oil on a sheet of kitchen roll. Done. Don't really need to buy special tools. If its good enough for kitchen knives that prep our food, its good enough for belt knives.

But doesn't scotchbrite scratch? Not such a problem with a £10 knife, but when you're paying hundreds the last thing Id want is a scratched up knife.

I literally tried everything. I was even tempted to put the dremel to the damn thing it was that bad. ;) Of course theres other products out there, household items you can put together, etc etc, but for me it was an inexpensive item that I didnt know about and did the job that I required it to do. Something I can take out in the field if needs be, use without lubricant and have no fear of scratching up the knife. Very happy I discovered it tbf. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Scotchbrite is very gentle but slightly abrasive - just like what you bought. Given its softer than steel, how can it scratch?

As for scratching knives - that's part and parcel of using them

This is a beautiful custom knife

PFK by British Red, on Flickr

I scratched the hell out of it

PFK Now by British Red, on Flickr

You see I used it. If you are frightened of tarnishing a knife, leave it in a drawer. But then why buy it? My pocket knife blade has a patina so deep it looks black. Its safe to use, and has been used so much that its considerably thinner from sharpening. So what? That's what its for!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've been using Garryflex blocks to clean up old tools for years now, they come in various grits and as far as I've seen are a hell of a lot different/better than the things Wilcos sell.

I sometimes put old iron/steel tools in a electrolysis dip tank as well, depending on what it is and so on.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If really needed I will clean a blade with a sanding block - but it plays havoc with the patina!
Usually it is - wet rag, dry rag, oily rag - done.
Shiny knives are not to my taste ... much too "bling" :)

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I use a Gary flex block to get the worse off then use the slurry from the water stone to polish any light scratches off, got the slurry idea from uncle Mears on a video of how to sharpen knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE