Cleaning Ali Billy and lid?

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Hi guys,

silly question probably, I have been using my billy with my woodgas stove and its caked in thick black carbon on the base, i've managed to clean the sides with a silver scourer but the carbon on the base wont budge without scratching chunks off. I also tried to put the woodgas stove out by putting the billy lid over and that is now brown and black stained.

Its the first time i've used ali as i normally use my non stick mess tins, I see i cant use oven cleaner, has anyone got a magic remedy?

patrols

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
cornwall
Alloy wheel cleaner is good to get difficult stains off, then wash in water and put it in your dishwasher mine came up like new.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
see i think the other way around when i see a shiny pot i think god that needs a damn good burning over the fire. The sootier the better i tend to just use a greeny to get the loose bits off then keep it sooty i only wash it enough to stop it transferring to other gear. my swiss volcano stove is practically matt black on the base of the pot.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I tend to leave it if it dont come off with a green scourer, as what the point it will only get black again....one of the problems with fuels like wood is the sap/tar element in them that are not fully burnt, that them makes a nice thick layer.. :).

Just another thought you have been using wood pellets on your wood stove, have they had a resin in to help them bind?, and could this then deposit a hard crust......

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Although I'm sure people who advocate keeping the bottom black are right abou retaining heat, I prefer to keep mine clean and shiny to avoid soiling the rest of my kit. The only solution I have found is to clean the pot as soon as possible after use. First, a wipe on the grass to remove the worst and then a rub with the small piece of pan scourer/ sponge I keep for the purpose.

This is for the aluminium Trangia mess tin I almost always use. However, it gets more use over an Esbit stove than a fire as although it may sound heretical, I avoid using fires whenever possible unless I'm somewhere where there are already established fire pits. I've melted aluminium mess tins using then over fires.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE