clean and shiney or black?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
surely the layer of carbon on the outside of the pan would slow down the rate of heat loss keeping food hot longer when removed from the heat source, also it would have a similar effect as the thick bottomed pans to spread the heat more evenly over the bottom of the pan to reduce burning from hot spots

Nope, because the carbon actually conducts heat better than the metal underneath it. To have any useful heat spreading effect, you'd need a very thick layer of it.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You need an excuse? I usually find "it's a waste of time and effort to clean it off" works for me - but then I don't need to justify it to anybody else... ;)

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Watching Victorian Farm with swmbo and my youngest this evening Ruth was cleaning her pots and pans with vinegar and brick dust.

'lovely and shiny' she says to which I quipped 'but black is a better absorber of heat'

This I thought was the end of the end of the discussion however swmbo came back with 'but does a layer of soot act as an insulator?'

Well does it?:rolleyes: - and thus my theory and reasoning for not scrubbing pans crumble like the bricks:confused:

Been a while since I watched Victorian Farm - must get the DVD out again!

Wasn't Ruthie scrubbing copper pots clean? I seem to recall that while copper isn't toxic when used to cook in, isn't the green verdigris that forms on the surface poisonous and likely to at least taint the flavour of foodstuffs and water?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE