Classifieds - for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Hi there,

Is asking users to leave advertised prices up once an item is sold a suggestion you'd consider?

It's quite useful to see what prices items went for if you're looking at buying a similar item or putting one up for sale. A few times I've seen people delete the price and replace it with "SOLD" rather than adding "SOLD" and leaving the price.
Not a big problem but I thought it could be useful.

Colin

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I prefer to edit the ad and remove the price so there's no doubt to anyone coming along later that the item is no longer available.

I've seen people reply to threads that are months if not years out of date asking if the item was still available only to be told it had sold.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Fair point, but if the item is clearly marked with a nice clear red SOLD next to the price like many people do...

e.g.
Cumberland Sausage, part cooked and only dropped in ashes once £10 SOLD

as per the rules then surely nobody can make a mistake.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Some people pay full price, some pay less through barter or swaps. An item advertised publicly on a forum is still sold privately.

I believe the details should remain private.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
That's fair enough but there is no harm in keeping the original asking price, the eventual deal details can still be kept private. If something was advertised for £10 quite a few people will have seen that price anyway, hiding it doesn't really protect any privacy. If the buyer paid with a mars bar and a bit of antler then of course they can keep that private while still keeping the original asking price up.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
It is handy for researching the price of things.
If the price has been discussed privately and another lesser price agreed then that one doesnt have to be publicised.
I vote for keeping it in. If it was a secret then it shouldnt have been advertised in the first place.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
I have left price on things iv sold but it doesn't make any difference to me, if your selling a tent and you asked £50 dose it make any difference to any one els that it was £50 or not, its just what the buyer asked for, or are you thinking if that item was re-listed by new buyer and is now at £80 you wanted to see the last price?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi there,

Is asking users to leave advertised prices up once an item is sold a suggestion you'd consider?

It's quite useful to see what prices items went for if you're looking at buying a similar item or putting one up for sale. A few times I've seen people delete the price and replace it with "SOLD" rather than adding "SOLD" and leaving the price.
Not a big problem but I thought it could be useful.

Colin

Fair point, but if the item is clearly marked with a nice clear red SOLD next to the price like many people do...

e.g.
Cumberland Sausage, part cooked and only dropped in ashes once £10 SOLD

as per the rules then surely nobody can make a mistake.

That's fair enough but there is no harm in keeping the original asking price, the eventual deal details can still be kept private. If something was advertised for £10 quite a few people will have seen that price anyway, hiding it doesn't really protect any privacy. If the buyer paid with a mars bar and a bit of antler then of course they can keep that private while still keeping the original asking price up.

Personally I don't see why a price should be left in place (or removed for that matter). A sale is private, between two members - BCUK merely offers a platform for its subsribers (FM's) who wish to sell their personal gear.
I do understand what you're saying though, as it makes a good guideline for future sales - or as a reference for those who like to acquire certain goods and wish to know what's a fair price.

On the other hand: if it's too high - don't buy (or you won't sell it), if it's too low - buy and have a good deal (or cut your own fingers). If it's sold you can probably see so from the thread context. If not: drop the seller a PM. If you're replying on a sale thread that's several years old, than in my book you shouldn't be near a computer, let alone be online ... ;)

From a Modding point of view it's hardly possible to enforce. It means Mods need to check every thread that pops up. Mods (and Admins aswell) are all volunteers who spend some of their spare free time on here to keep things on track. Even the "Sold" bit isn't enforced much - not that much of a priority as there are loads of other things to attend.

If people want to leave a price: fair enough; if they don't: ditto, we don't mind.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Personally I don't see why a price should be left in place (or removed for that matter). A sale is private, between two members - BCUK merely offers a platform for its subsribers (FM's) who wish to sell their personal gear.
I do understand what you're saying though, as it makes a good guideline for future sales - or as a reference for those who like to acquire certain goods and wish to know what's a fair price.

On the other hand: if it's too high - don't buy (or you won't sell it), if it's too low - buy and have a good deal (or cut your own fingers). If it's sold you can probably see so from the thread context. If not: drop the seller a PM. If you're replying on a sale thread that's several years old, than in my book you shouldn't be near a computer, let alone be online ... ;)

From a Modding point of view it's hardly possible to enforce. It means Mods need to check every thread that pops up. Mods (and Admins aswell) are all volunteers who spend some of their spare free time on here to keep things on track. Even the "Sold" bit isn't enforced much - not that much of a priority as there are loads of other things to attend.

If people want to leave a price: fair enough; if they don't: ditto, we don't mind.
I see what you mean, it could be a headache to moderate like you say :) I was just wondering really as it's always handy to know and thought I'd ask as it has its advantages. I never thought about the finding out how much someone sells an item on for, I don't think it'd be a big problem here anyway as most people seem honest.

I'll hold my hands up, it's a fair cop :)

Not sure why I do it but if it bugs you I'll stop :)
I forgive you :) To be honest I never really noticed who has done it, I forget pretty quickly, I can just remember thinking now and again "oh that's a nice bit of kit, I wonder how much it was so I know what a fair price would be if one comes up again". I suppose you could ask the seller but that's private as people have rightly said and I'd feel uncomfortable asking. Feel free to carry on if it's what you do without giving it any thought, I wouldn't say it bugs me :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE