Clas Ohlson

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Clas Ohlson has been mentioned once or twice on the fora so I decided that a trip to Manchester was required.

The shop was quite spacious and easy to find in the Arndale Centre and is packed with stuff - the tool section's great!:D

On perusing the website I noticed inexpensive Moras and other interesting sharps. However, the shop seemed to be lacking such delights. I assume that this is due to the current "sensetive" nature of such items (selling knives in major city centres - although hammers and axes are clearly not as dangerous), though I didn't ask any of the smiling staff.

There were some surprising bargains though: 16 GB pen drive for £15 and Geerber Tread multitools for £9.99 (bought one for me and one for SWMBO). Probably not the best multi-tool available, but it's good and cheap! I also picked up some packs of bungees (5 I think) for about £2. They had tarps and rubber attachment thingies (not quite sure what they're for...) and Firskar axes as well as wooden hafted axes (cheaper than the Firskars, but I don't really know enough about axes to know a good one).

So, all in all, not a bad little expedition and I'll certainly visit the store again when I venture across the Pennines. One day I'll send an email asking about the Moras...

We also went to the Imperial War Museum North, which was surprisingly entertaining and free! Recommended!

Claudiasboris

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Clas Ohlson has been mentioned once or twice on the fora so I decided that a trip to Manchester was required.

On perusing the website I noticed inexpensive Moras and other interesting sharps. However, the shop seemed to be lacking such delights. I assume that this is due to the current "sensetive" nature of such items (selling knives in major city centres - although hammers and axes are clearly not as dangerous), though I didn't ask any of the smiling staff.

So, all in all, not a bad little expedition and I'll certainly visit the store again when I venture across the Pennines. One day I'll send an email asking about the Moras...

Claudiasboris

I did ask about the mora's and none of the staff had any idea about it. Also it does NOT figure in their catalogue. One of the managers denied ever seeing mora's even on the website.
I too assumed that it was about selling knives in the city center but this is not held up as they sell kitchen knives..... so who knows. They didnt even have the axes in when I went and stated that they dont sell axes.......Now maybe i just looked dodgy but nobody was able to show me the sharp and shiny stuff other than the multi tools in the display cabinet.

All in all a good little shop. I got some waterproofing that appears to be ok and a cheap led torch. Shame about the lack of sharps to buy and apparent lack of knowledge about their own products as advertised on the web.

Greg

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Curious...They certainly had quite a few axes on Saturday: both synthetic and wooden hafted. After I didn't see any Moras etc I checked on their website on Sunday evening, and in the tools section was a sub-section called knives with Moras and lock knives. The idea seems to be that you print off the items you require and take that to the shop. It may be a trick to try in order to convince them them that yes, the store does sell knives.

Having worked in retail, it surprises and annoys me when staff don't know their own stock. Grrrr...

Claudiasboris

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I did find it weird that the web site advertised them but the catalogue does not. I know I searched it from cover to cover :(

I do plan on contacting the management by phone/email to clarify if they sold the mora's but in the end it just annoyed me that much I have not been back since.

Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE