Clarification of trip lengths definitions

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Hi, just to clear up something I'm a bit confused about is there anyone able to clarify for me the definitions of the different lengths of trips. I keep reading in books etc that a a X litre sized rucksack will do for a medium length trip or another size will do for short trips or long trips but how long are these in terms of days, weeks etc? Eg a medium length trip is 2 weeks etc. just so I know roughly what size rucksack to buy etc

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I expect you will get a lot of answers here but a lot will be down to the weight and bulk of your kit. If you are able to spend a lot on a down sleeping bag and other lightweight gear then your pack size will be smaller. It also depends on the time of year and how much food an water you will need.

Just go for the pack with good reviews of an average size and see if it suits you. No one gets their kit perfect from the off that's half the fun ;)

If you get it half right then kit for one night or 14 does not change that much besides extra clothes, food and water.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
If you get it half right then kit for one night or 14 does not change that much besides extra clothes, food and water.

That was similar to the line I use... The base "kit" rarely actually changes, so it will depend on other factors. But I try never to carry more than I can manage weight wise, a fit, healthy person would be about 25% of body weight on about 15 miles a day. Just make sure there are shops and washing machines handy :cool:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I find myself using a 60l pack for everything apart from winter. My winter insulation is beefy so i i have a 70l + 2 x 10l side pounches. So many variables though kit wise. Ive slowly chipped away at my kit improving weight and packability but when all said and done, if you can carry it its not too heavy

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Ok cheers, I've actually got a pack which is 65 that extends to 90 so it sounds like that will do for everything and no need to buy a larger pack.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Pack size can be a bit misleading.
A week long trip in summer is different to a week long trip in winter.
With that said, regardless of the length of the trip some things will not change.
This can be regarded as the "core" kit.
Shelter (tent/tarp/whatever)
Sleeping gear (Sleeping bag/kip mat/hammock quilt & underquilt)
Cooking kit (stove/pots/plates/fuel)
Personal admin (wash kit/FAK)

this kit is the same whether you're going away for the weekend or a month. only the amount of fuel in the cooking kit is variable.

Then we have the variable kit, which is mainly food and clothing.

Clothing can be washed on an extended trip, so that fixes that, as long as you have a bottle of travel wash and something to wash it in (a dry bag makes a great field washing machine) you can go on fairly indefinetly.

so the only real item that takes up extra space is food, and that comes down to resupply.

I can manage two weeks comfortably in 3 seasons with a 60L pack as long as I resupply every few days.

So, the real deciding factor on the rucksack size is your core kit.
If you have an expensive sleeping bag that can compress to the size of a grapefruit, and are happy to cook on a photon stove in a Ti mug, while sleeping under a tarp supported by walking poles, you could manage with a 45L pack easily.
If, however, you're using an army surplus green maggot and a tent from argos and cooking on a Trangia 25 borrowed from a scout group, you're going to need something bigger.

Don't get fooled into thinking you need a rucksack of X size. you need the pack your stuff fits into, and that depends on the size of your stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE