Cigars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Ahhhh the smell of a nice sweet, nutty, chocolatey cigar. Well..... I dont know what the heck im talking about. But I like the thought of a cigar sat by the fire........

Anyone a cigar smoker here? Do u have any pointers or brand suggestions for a beginner?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

DaveAC

Nov 25, 2020
GB
Mmmmmm. I'm very partial to a smoke and a nice coffee. I can highly recommend Clubmaster pantella, amazing vanilla flavour. Struggling to afford them now, so only break one out on special occasions, usually when I'm fishing is nice.
Cheers
Dave

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Van-Wild

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I haven't smoked since I was in my teens (kissed a girl that smoked a lot, tasted like an ashtray so gave up immediately) but, for some inexplicable reason, I fancy trying a pipe around the camp fire.

I just don't have a clue about what tobacco to try though :)

Reactions: Van-Wild

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Grow your own. I've always fancied making a pipe and growing my own tobacco, but no interest in smoking!

I do think a pipe will enable me to give better instructions to people who ask for directions.

Yeh, I know what you mean. I also think people like Jack Hargreaves seemed all the more knowledgeable because he had a pipe in his hand :) - not sure that would work for me!

Back on cigars though - is there a suitable UK wild leaf that could be used to make herbal cigar wrapping? - Mullein maybe?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmmmmm. I'm very partial to a smoke and a nice coffee. I can highly recommend Clubmaster pantella, amazing vanilla flavour. Struggling to afford them now, so only break one out on special occasions, usually when I'm fishing is nice.
Cheers
Dave

Wow, jut looked them up out of curiosity; £15 for a pack of 4!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Used to smoke a pipe and cigars 40+ years ago. Part of reason for giving up was misery of running out of tobacco when snowed in for days in the mountains. I vowed never to subject myself to this sort of dependency again. My doctor daughter-in-law told me that nicotine was the hardest of all addictions to overcome.

Staggered by the price of tobacco today and so pleased to have saved so much money that I've been able to spend on booze!

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I started smoking with hamlet miniatures, eventually went onto Marlboroughs at uni with a brief dalliance into pipe smoking with condor tobacco (It smells and tastes like bacon) Eventually I managed to learn to roll with gloves on. I stopped after uni so I don't know if much has changed in the last 7 years. Try Hamlets, they're fairly smooth as a starter but there is a marked difference of experience when you're smoking next to a fire and then wake up breathing in a sleeping bag you've smoked out and brush your teeth with a toothbrush that still has the faint taste of smoke on it. It's a lot of faff for not much gain. I reckon you would be better off with a smokey whiskey.

DaveAC

Nov 25, 2020
GB
The only time I've smoked my pipe, is when the cigar got so short I'd plug it into the pipe and keep smoking till it'd all gone. I was a lot younger then, I'm on the verge of giving up again. Gave up for 10 years.
Cheers

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I haven't smoked since I was in my teens (kissed a girl that smoked a lot, tasted like an ashtray so gave up immediately) but, for some inexplicable reason, I fancy trying a pipe around the camp fire.

I just don't have a clue about what tobacco to try though :)

The last cigar I had round the fire was from a friend who’d been to Cuba. We were rained in under our tarps in our hammocks for hours so we smoked cigars and drank tequila. But I do prefer a pipe and a good tobacco, cigars do leave the mouth very ashtray for ages afterwards . I had about 5 pipes, but now only two that are used so rarely I wouldn’t even know where to start looking for them. I must dig them out as I discovered two tins of McClelland British Woods. Possibly the last two tins ever as the old company sadly went south after many years of trading.

Should you consider a pipe, an estate is a good bet and great value. An estate is a pipe that has been used, so at least secondhand. They are thoroughly cleaned and refurbished. The advantage of an estate is that a new pipe takes many, many smokes to season and get used to the heat, absorbing oils as it goes and building up ‘cake’.

This company are good for pipes and cigars. It’s best to buy from the US or Canada prices are much better and I’ve never been hit for duty.

4Noggins are also very good to deal with.

Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Should you consider a pipe, an estate is a good bet and great value. An estate is a pipe that has been used, so at least secondhand. They are thoroughly cleaned and refurbished. The advantage of an estate is that a new pipe takes many, many smokes to season and get used to the heat, absorbing oils as it goes and building up ‘cake’.

That's useful info; thanks.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
@Van-Wild - let me take on the role of pious uncle here:

Speaking as someone who still loves smoking and always will, but who quit, and also speaking as someone who's eldest started vaping and having to live with the explosive rage that a lack of nicotine or any questioning of his new addiction causes, I'd say skip cigars, skip pipes, skip rolling tobacco, just skip the whole smoking nicotine thing.

Buy more expensive Rum and better Scotch instead. If you want nice smells round camp take more steak and bacon and roast your own coffee beans :)

I have a couple of pipes (for reasons which maybe coming to a herbal clinic near you soon enough) ... nice meerschaums, they are well worth getting. But, when I looked into estate pipes, I couldn't get over the sense that they belonged to old guys who died of smoking pipes :lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: Broch and Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK

Speaking as someone who still loves smoking and always will, but who quit, and also speaking as someone who's eldest started vaping and having to live with the explosive rage that a lack of nicotine or any questioning of his new addiction causes, I'd say skip cigars, skip pipes, skip rolling tobacco, just skip the whole smoking nicotine thing.

Buy more expensive Rum and better Scotch instead. If you want nice smells round camp take more steak and bacon and roast your own coffee beans :)

I have a couple of pipes (for reasons which maybe coming to a herbal clinic near you soon enough) ... nice meerschaums, they are well worth getting. But, when I looked into estate pipes, I couldn't get over the sense that they belonged to old guys who died of smoking pipes
Thanks for tip matey. However, seen as I'm 41 years of age, smoked 20 embassy number 1s every day from the ages of 17 to 24 and then suddenly decided that smoking wasn't for me anymore, quit and haven't touched one since, I think I'm rather fine with deciding if I'd like to take a dalliance with a cigar, or even a pipe. I write all this with a friendly, wry smile on my face, so take no harm from my words.

I also find it amusing that alcohol is seen as a suitable alternative.... im teetotal now. Having aged I have come to realise that alcohol and the lingering, disabling resultant hangovers really aren't for me. I've sat around a fire with intoxicated people, knives on their belts and axes close at hand, and felt really rather uncomfortable the entire evening and didn't sleep well at all when a few over did it and were very roudy. (I'm no party pooper by any means BTW, I love a knees up and thank god that my hard partying was done pre-social media! or thered be bodies buried everywhere......).

Of course, I see noone is condoning drunken behaviour, merely offering their own advice, which is what I was asking for after all..... but it is rather lovely that us gents are discussing what is clearly still a very popular pursuit which is now largely ostracised in most society these days, which is a damn shame.

I doff my hat to you all.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

I have a couple of pipes (for reasons which maybe coming to a herbal clinic near you soon enough) ... nice meerschaums, they are well worth getting. But, when I looked into estate pipes, I couldn't get over the sense that they belonged to old guys who died of smoking pipes :lol:

It is fair comment, but I don’t really smoke much at all. I have a packet of rolling tobacco in a drawer that I may make a couple of cigarettes from during the week if I feel like it. It’s been going for months. The pipe hasn’t been smoked for a couple of years, but I’ve kept two and some good tobacco for the occasions when a puff of smoke is a gentle pleasure and not a desperate nicotine hit to break up my day, give me ten minutes aside from things, or a need.

You are talking the “ism” of addiction. That applies very much to alcohol in whatever exotic form it is absorbed in exactly the same way as tobacco smoking. Vaping to get off inhaling burnt hydrocarbons is fine, vaping because Grandma‘s Apple pie and Custard vape juice tastes good and looks cool isn’t.

Reactions: Billy-o

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for tip matey. However, seen as I'm 41 years of age, smoked 20 embassy number 1s every day from the ages of 17 to 24 and then suddenly decided that smoking wasn't for me anymore, quit and haven't touched one since, I think I'm rather fine with deciding if I'd like to take a dalliance with a cigar, or even a pipe. I write all this with a friendly, wry smile on my face, so take no harm from my words.

I also find it amusing that alcohol is seen as a suitable alternative.... im teetotal now. Having aged I have come to realise that alcohol and the lingering, disabling resultant hangovers really aren't for me. I've sat around a fire with intoxicated people, knives on their belts and axes close at hand, and felt really rather uncomfortable the entire evening and didn't sleep well at all when a few over did it and were very roudy. (I'm no party pooper by any means BTW, I love a knees up and thank god that my hard partying was done pre-social media! or thered be bodies buried everywhere......).

Of course, I see noone is condoning drunken behaviour, merely offering their own advice, which is what I was asking for after all..... but it is rather lovely that us gents are discussing what is clearly still a very popular pursuit which is now largely ostracised in most society these days, which is a damn shame.

I doff my hat to you all.

Well put, and my point entirely. :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hell of a clever chemical nicotine. If there are "herbal" cigars maybe. I don't miss them one bit but there are billions of receptors in my brain just waiting for that chemical to light them up again. Nasty bloody things they are.

Reactions: Billy-o

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hell of a clever chemical nicotine. If there are "herbal" cigars maybe. I don't miss them one bit but there are billions of receptors in my brain just waiting for that chemical to light them up again. Nasty bloody things they are.

The same is said of alcohol. There is no sober alcoholic that isn’t in recovery every day for the rest of their life. A nicotine addict is the same, titillating the addiction whether it be by smoking herbal tobacco or drinking alcohol free beer isn‘t a good idea. These two drugs have become so socially acceptable they are used for any mood setting. There is a saying, Mad, Bad, Sad or Glad. Any of these is a good excuse for a fag or a drink.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE