Chutney recipes required

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've had a quick scan, but cannot find a recipe for chutney. Now, I was given a carrier bag of eating apples earlier on at a customers house, freshly picked from his tree. He said nobody eats them so they drop and rot away. He gave me a full carrier bag of nice green apples, and I will never eat them all. They are eaters as I say, but surely I can stick some in a pie and make chutney with some? So, I need your recipes! I've had apple chutney from British Red, it was fantastic and so I want to try and make some of my own. I have a huge glass jar with the rubber seal which has a few dregs of bee poo in that will get finished off and washed out, so there is one receptacle for storing. I have a few others with dried mushrooms and dried onions, done on my dehydrator, that could be pressed into service if required. I'm not grand in the kitchen, so idiots' guide would be great!

:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm sure Max's recipes are just as good Spam but I can find my dog eared bok if you want mine

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
They may be trade secrets though, so I'll wait on his say so.

LOL not at all, both of them are public, is one I've copied from a book that I'm planning to try so by all means post them Spam. Share to one and all :)

I'll have a look through a couple of my mums old cookbooks as well see what she used to do for chutneys and post them here. I should say I tend to go more for spicey salsas and the like so if you fancy some of those I'll post them as well

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Here are two from posts at River Cottage. I haven't tried them myself.
Apple chutney

ingredients(makes about 6lbs)
4 1/2 lb good cooking apples(after peeling &coring)
2lb brown sugar (dark or light)
1 1/2 lb onions chopped small
1 1/2 lb sultanas or rasins or mixed
1 oz ground ginger
1 oz garlic crushed
1 oz mustard seed
1/2 oz cayenne pepper
1/2 oz cinnimon
1 pint vinager
Method
slice apples thinly put in pan with sugar onions and
vineger ,bring to the boil and then simmer until pulpy.
Add all other ingredients and simmer for a futher 10
minutes or until thick
Bottle whilst hot and cover with wax disc then put lid on
when cold.(excellent with cheese or cold meat)
Best when left to mature for at least 3 months

Apple&Raisin chutney

Makes about 6lb
5lb apples
Juice & finley chopped rind of 2 oranges
4 oz chopped walnuts or almonds
2lb sugar
10 oz rasins
1/3 teaspoon cloves
4 fl oz distilled vineger
method
peel & core apples and cut into pieces
prepare oranges & nuts
put all ingredients into pan stir well & simmer with lid on until tender
remove lid & continue stirring quite often until chutney thickens
while waiting prepare jars by cleaning then heating in oven
fill warm jars with chutney & put lids on straight away
use quite soon after making as this chutney will not store for a long time due to low vineger content

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Mesquite said:
Here's a couple recipes for you

Chilli Pickle
(Mirch ka Achar)

50g mustard seeds
50g cumin seeds
25g tumeric powder
50g garlic cloves
150ml vinegar
150ml oil (use mustard oil if available)
50g garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
75g sugar
2 tsp salt
450g green chillies, washed, dried and left whole

Grind the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, tumeric powder and garlic cloves using the vinegar to facilitate grinding.

Heat the oil in a large heavy pan and fry the ground paste for about 5 minutes on a medium heat. (If you are using mustard oil keep a window open as it tends to irrate the eyes.)

Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Cook until the chillies are tender, this will take about 30 minutes.

Cool thoroughly and bottle.

This is from 'Indian Vegetarian Cookery' by Rafi Fernandez, I've never tried it so can make no comment, sorry.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++

Jamie Olivers recipe is:

Makes about 500g

Ingredients
8-10 fresh red chillies (we actually used 4 small scoth bonnet, 3 small + 1 large orange habenero, 1 small big jim and two mushroom chillis)
8 ripe red peppers (we used 6 red and 4 green) - all asda had)
Olive oil
2 medium red onions, peeled and chopped
A sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
2 fresh bay leaves
A 5cm piece of cinnamon stick
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
100g brown sugar
150ml balsamic vinegar

Step 1 If you want your chutney to last for a while, make sure you have some small sterilized jars ready to go. Place your chillies and peppers over a hot barbecue, in a griddle pan or on a tray under a hot grill, turning them now and then until blackened and blistered all over. Carefully lift the hot peppers and chillies into a bowl (the smaller chillies won't take as long as the peppers so remove them first) and cover tightly with cling film. As they cool down, they'll cook gently in their own steam. By the time they're cool enough to handle, you'll be able to peel the skin off easily.

Step 2 When you've got rid of most of the skin, trimmed off the stalks and scooped out the seeds, you'll be left with a pile of nice tasty peppers and chillies. Finely chop by hand or put in a food processor and whiz up. Then put to one side.

Step 3 Heat a saucepan and pour in a splash of olive oil. Add the onions, rosemary, bay leaves and cinnamon and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook very slowly for about 20 minutes or so, until the onions become rich, golden and sticky.

Step 4 Add the chopped peppers and chillies, the sugar and the vinegar to the onions and keep cooking. When the liquid reduces and you're left with a lovely thick sticky chutney, season well to taste. Remove the cinnamon stick and the bay leaves. Either spoon into the sterilized jars and put them in a cool dark place, or keep in the fridge and use right away. In sterilized jars, the chutney should keep for a couple of months.

NICE!! Made enough chutney to fill two kenco coffee jars (duly sterilised of course). Bit spicy for the wife but overall this has a really fruity taste followed by a nice afterburn as you swallow. Really good taste. Wonder how tame it would have been if we'd just used 'fresh red chillis' - whatever the heck they are.

Don't that sound great!

:lickinglipssmilie:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Don't that sound great!

:lickinglipssmilie:

LOL.... that's not what the little wifey said. Actually, if I remember rightly she didn't say anything at all for about 10 minutes after trying it. Was just going ..hahhhhhhh mmggmmm blowing cheeks out and drinking milk.. Then she said you b&^*$?d, I thought you said it just had a little bit of a bite to it. :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Heres mine Spam - its pretty simple

1lb of strong onions, peeled and very finely chopped

Put them in a steel pan JUST cover with water.

Bring up to the boil and then simmer gently for 5 minutes

While thats going on peel and core the apples - sling any bruised bits. You want 3lb of chopped stuff. Chop it finely, Put the apples into 2 pints of cider vinegar as you chop em . Malts cheaper and works fine if you like it that way.

Drain off any excess water from your onions and put in the apples in vinegar.

And a pound and a half of Muscavado sugar (raw demerara if you can't get muscy), 6oz of sultanas, 1 tsp of sea salt and half a teaspoon of cayenne. Then grate a couple of fingers of fresh root ginger (an ounce or two) into the mix. Stir on a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved.

Then bring to a hot fast boil, lower the heat and simmer the snot out of it (at least two hours till its gloopy)

Heat jars in the oven, fill with warm chutney and seal

Thats it mate - works best with a good sharp cooking apple but its all good

Red

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That sounds like the stuff I make from my Mrs Beetons preserves book...its very nice.

I still want the bramstons clone recipe....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE