Christmas AEB-L kitchen carving and veggie knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Finished these over the weekend for my dad’s Christmas gifts. Need to make sheathes to protect the blades in his kitchen cutlery drawer.
AEB-L is impressive in thin edges.

Black paper Micarta bolster and stabilised curly California redwood from the arboretum my mum has volunteered in for over 20 years.

B6C3B057-48A1-466E-BCFE-CD32513C181B.jpegDSC08511.JPGDSC08512.JPGDSC08517.JPG

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Oh, I like those very much - absolute craftsmanship :)

I have made a leather chef's knife roll for my son's best kitchen knives and I'm making the sheaths out of 0.5mm plastic sheet. I've scored where I want the fold to be and stuck the edges down with Superglue All Plastic. I've only made the prototype so far but I'll stick a photo up when I've made a couple of proper ones.

I wasn't keen on paying the £6 to £14 per knife that is being charged for sheaths that look exactly the same :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful :) just perfect :)
What a really lovely present, and so very useful too.

I gave up on keeping my kitchen knives in the cutlery drawer. I really don't like hidden dirt, something I can't clean thoroughly, so most knife blocks were out, and the magnetic ones worry me somehow, not something I want on the kitchen wall kind of thing. So, I bought a knife block, but it's filled with removable fine rods. These hold the knives safely and securely, but they come out to be washed too :)
For me, it's a win/win.
Like this, though they come in other styles too.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Very impressive Chris.
Curly birch handles? Have you treated them at all?
They look like they'll take a fine edge. Nice dimensions too.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
AEB-L was designed for razor blades so it bloody should be good as a thin blade! These look fantastic.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Very impressive Chris.
Curly birch handles? Have you treated them at all?
They look like they'll take a fine edge. Nice dimensions too.
My bad, original post now list handle material.
Stabilised curly redwood. Just sanded to 1200 and hand polished.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
AEB-L was designed for razor blades so it bloody should be good as a thin blade! These look fantastic.
I have a paring blade I have experimented with using an s-grind, 0.15mm thick at 1.5mm up from the cutting edge. That is thin enough to flex on a finger nail. Blades are 61RockwellC. Have not got it to consistently whittle free standing hair….yet… but it is amazing on vegetables.

I can see myself liking this steel. I have about 16 other assorted blades to finish. Looking forward to my own veggie and boning knives.

Reactions: Kadushu

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I have a paring blade I have experimented with using an s-grind, 0.15mm thick at 1.5mm up from the cutting edge. That is thin enough to flex on a finger nail. Blades are 61RockwellC. Have not got it to consistently whittle free standing hair….yet… but it is amazing on vegetables.

I can see myself liking this steel. I have about 16 other assorted blades to finish. Looking forward to my own veggie and boning knives.
It's really nice to see steel being pushed to its limit and utilised for its strengths, rather than just being over built so it ends up like a knife shaped axe. If you know what I mean.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Here are the sheaths I've made for the leather chef's knife roll; they might be a bit more basic than you were thinking of Chris but they are almost identical to some I have found in cook shops and on line.

As I said, 0.5mm plastic sheet, folded and glued along the edge with Super Glue All Plastic.

Kitchen Knife Sheaths - 2021-12-15 17.55.02.jpg

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Extra pictures added to opening post.

I made my leather sheaths and finished them last night. Both are made of 1/16th leather with thin welts so they have friction with the blades. I also fitted a couple of 4mm diameter flat magnets in the mouth of both sheaths. They will support the weight of the small one, but just offer some extra resistance to the large one sliding off.

For a gift these are good, but I might be looking for some 0.5mm plastic for my own kitchen drawer!

DSC08505.JPG

DSC08527.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE