Chorizo (sp)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well heard many a person say they use this added to pasta and the like for grub when out, but how does it keep?
Sounds like a daft question but whenever I buy it, it never is around long enough to find out!
Was in Lidl today looking at salamis and chorizo and the salami's say keep refegierated and then consume when opened in three days. The chorizo (which I love) didn't have anything on it other than a bb date of June ( the rest was not in English)
So whats the best meat to take for a few days out?
Obviously we are getting a wee bit warmer here in the Uk which has a bearing
Dave

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Keep it unsliced definately if you want it to keep. A whole one will generally keep for ages, I wouldn't hestitate to eat one a year old if it looked OK. Obviously if it's mouldy on the inside, it's not good to eat, but mold on the outside shouldn't kill you provided you don't eat it. Keeping it in plastic wrapping would be bad for it, I think they need to breathe, they can hang in a not damp place that is cool for a long long time.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Ditto what Fishy1 says. All the traditional salamis are great. They date from a time before refrigeration, contain some level of preservative and low moisture content. Usually I get through the stuff a bit too fast to say what the limit is to keeping it during a camping trip, but under most conditions I wouldn't worry about it for a week in the summer, and longer still if it was cooler.

I have had biltong that was kept in plastic (alledgedly vacuum packed) go mouldy in a few weeks, while the stuff that was unwrapped and left sitting in the airing cupboard, then moved to a kitchen shelf is good a year later. I would expect the cured salamis to behave in a similar manner.

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
I bought one a while back for a trip out and the left over bit was kept in my cupboard resting on a jar, I wanted to see how long it would last but I kept taking bites out of it and it was all gone in around a week so sorry I am of no help at all other than they last at least one week....

If you are interested, I used the first half in a stew over a fire, chopped up with chopped rabbit, mixed veggies, garlic, dried mixed 'erbs and a good wallop of red wine, couple of hours later it was very nice!

Mang

Settler
Waitrose has an unchilled range of sausage type products. Only snag is that you can't just buy a few slices but I agree about Chorizo, the flavour that comes out and into the rice etc that you have with it is fantastic.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I bought one of those Chorizos specifically for the purpose you have in mind Its still in packaging in fridge but am taking some out tomorrow I hope the rest will keep a good while
Good price at Lidls
Must try it wth rice or noodles I usually have it with bread cos its easier

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have, in the past, put various sausage product - Chirozo, Kabanos, salamis of various types, through the dehydrator.
Seemed to work well in adding shelf life.....but then they got eaten pretty soon anyway as they tasted soooooo good!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have never been in one!
Looks like I am missing out on some good grub...but is it worth a day trip just for a Reindeer salami and some Lingonberry squash?
Llidls do great salamis, are closer, cheaper and fast to get in and out of (I hate shopping almost as much as I hate flying in aluminium tubes filled with polluted air - the source of the cold I am currently coughing wheezing ang snotting through! good old Queezy Jet..)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
They also sell that Sea Buckthorn liqueur(?), who's name escapes me, in Ikea or they did.

Back on topic - Chorizo - *drools*

Occasionally, we have a French market in Glasgow, you know cheese, meat, veg, herbs, etc - my favourite thing to buy is those little cured sausages similar to salami, but only about 4 inches long and just over an inch wide, not as salty and made with venison, boar or duck or similar - they are seriously good.

xylaria

Well heard many a person say they use this added to pasta and the like for grub when out, but how does it keep?
Sounds like a daft question but whenever I buy it, it never is around long enough to find out!
Was in Lidl today looking at salamis and chorizo and the salami's say keep refegierated and then consume when opened in three days. The chorizo (which I love) didn't have anything on it other than a bb date of June ( the rest was not in English)
So whats the best meat to take for a few days out?
Obviously we are getting a wee bit warmer here in the Uk which has a bearing
Dave

We have used most of the lidl range of unchilled meat while out, the kabanossi is a bit dodgy after two days after being opened, the rest stays fine even in hot weather. The big salamis can get a funny if they get damp, but are fine to eat even after five days in summer. Keep flys, sunshine, and dirt off obviously. The smoked tyorlian is my favorite.

I love lidl:)

They do very nice dry pasta in mushroom sauce as well, and puree brand dried potatoe is better and easier to use than smash.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Great info thanks. I thought that would be the answer but most of the salami's etc have a eat within 3days....are they just covering their ar***?
I nearly bought the smoked tyorlian loved that when I lived in France....oh good god dont get me onto cheese.....Dave

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Was it sliced? If sliced, kept in a warm, damp place, and wrapped in plastic which had been exposed to air, I'm sure there would be a very very low chance of something bad after 3 days, so they're just covering themselves.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
That would be about the only reason that I might venture back into one of those places. haven't been inside one for nearly fifteen years!

ATB

Ogri the trog

I know what you mean. I have got busted more that once popping in through the exit of the Warrington Ikea just to go to the food shop. There 'caviar' is about the cheapest you can get.

Quick OT Recipe:

The only ingredient that you might have trouble with is the whipping cream but I use elmlea and that last pretty well.

You need two pans I am afraid.

Ingredient's

Dried tagliatelle
Smoked Salmon
whipping cream (un whipped)
'Caviar' / Lump fish Roe (Black looks best)

Instructions:

While the Pasta is cooking bring the whipping cream to the boil (whipping cream does not split when boiled) add as much chopped smoked salmon as you can spare, I use the cheapo pieces you get in the value ranges in the supermarket so I add quite a bit. Keep stirring as the pink sauce thickens. When the pasta is cooked toss it in the sauce and finally spoon in as much of the 'caviar' as you like and eat quickly. Especially when it raining and windy:D

The salty exploding balls of fishy-ness really cut through the creamy-ness of the dish.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Great info thanks. I thought that would be the answer but most of the salami's etc have a eat within 3days....are they just covering their ar***?

You are correct in assuming this there has been a piece of danish salami (not sliced) I got from the reduced section of tesco about two months ago which is still Ok

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE