Choosing and using Storm Kettles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
STORM KETTLES REVIEW, SHORT VERSION

This set out to be just a quick comparison of a couple of small kettles from the Storm Kettle people.
Then I realised that It would be really easy to make it really very quick.

"You need to buy one of these sort of kettles (there are many makes out there), 'cos the first time you see it boil you'll laugh for joy, they're that much fun.
Go buy one!"

Or........

LONGER VERSION

So here's something longer, more detailed, and less good for the soul, so forgive me for not stopping now.....
If you want volumes, sizes, weights etc, hunt down the specs, this is more of a how to live with, user guide.

First off, I've no connection with the makers of these kettles, the Tornado Boiler Company, or any outdoor supplier etc. this is just me, and my experiences from the use of them.

Most folk stumble on the Storm/ Kelly/ Ghillie kettles when a mate gets one. Then, impressed, they end up with one. Thus it was with me. And I bought a 1.5 litre boiler a few years back. Nice, I fell in love instantly.
Mine now has a non standard stainless steel firebox and new chain but is pretty much what you get.

eny4ypyz.jpg

But it IS big. Proper big if you like coffee AND motorcycling.

I looked around, chose, and my missus treated me to the F1 Storm Kettle for my birthday. It is NOT big. Perfect for camping, throwing under the scooter seat, bike pannier, and rather stylish.

Re capacities. In easy terms, the F1 is one big mug, the F2 is two big mugs and so on, the F4 being 1.5 L.
Operation is the same, safety in use requires the same care. That is;

SAFETY

Never boil with the bung in.

Never boil dry or leave unattended when lit.

Never light a fire beneath it with no water in the kettle.

The firebox stays hot for yonks, take heed, and never light it in your tent or indoors. It'll burn your carpet and she'll get really tight around the eyes. Not good.

F1 KETTLE

esyja3yh.jpg

Here then is the difference. The F1 has a Neoprene jacket that allows the direct handling of the kettle, not requiring the use of handle or chain. Very neat and no, the sleeve does not catch fire.
I expect this layer of insulation speeds up boiling, and it will certainly keep your water hot longer. It has a built in handle (webbing), and can be removed for cleaning or to make a knee support (hey, I'm old!).
Great to be compact without sticky out bits, easy to store and pack.
When I bought mine, the aluminium version came with the Lomo bag seen in the pics. This is no longer the case, and I think the case is only standard with the Ti version.
It's available still as an option. Afaik. I could be wrong so check with your supplier.

THE COMPETITION

I looked at a few "back packing" kettles (M Kettle, Back Country Boiler etc) before this but was always put off be the flat tops, allowing three things to happen.

First, it's more difficult to feed fuel in the top without dropping bits in the water.

Second, small twigs burning hot make fine ash that can easily settle in your water.

Finally, when the kettle boils, the water bubbles up onto the top plate, and can dribble down the sides, putting the fire out or reducing it (you might want a second boil up).
It will also wet the sleeve (not good for storing dry tinder when back in its bag).

The dome top of the Storm, and the spout, eliminates or reduces this. It must be harder to make this way so they must have found this out too, the hard way.
I must say I prefer the hard rubbery bung on the F1 to the cork on the other kettles. I'll be looking to get something similar for the F2.

FIREBOX

You'll notice the fire pan fits in the kettle base. Neat. Also (in common with all of these kettles) it has a hole/holes in it. This is the air feed, and must face into the wind for maximum heat, minimum boil time.
With my Bushbuddies, we have three different make kettles, all 1.5 litre, so the first thing any man wants to do is line 'em up and race to the boil.
It's too variable to call but I can't say that the stainless, black anodised, or my ally one works best. But it's fun to get a gallon of boiling water in a wood in 5 minutes at zero fuel cost!

But I digress.
So the holes go into the wind but keep your spout upwind to avoid ash.
Starting is easy enough and you'll find yourself gathering stuff for this. Dry packaging, birch bark peelings (smokey but excellent) and other stuff you'll discover. I use hand antibacteria gel (alcohol) if it's cold and damp, but dry tinder works every time regardless.

HOLLOW

u7upupan.jpg

To that end, I keep tinder and a first boils worth of wood/fuel in the chimney of the packed stove. DON'T carry water in it then expect the tinder to stay dry unless it's bagged.
This is easy on the F1 as it stays in it's waterproof Lomo bag. It's just as easy in the F2, but with even more space.
I found an airtight tub that fits in the stored firebox and contains lighter (why not?), coffee, tea, spoon, alchol gel, and the tub becomes a cup.

majeda6y.jpg

The dry tinder/ fuel is in an old tent peg bag in the chimney.
It's all space you're carrying so why not use it, and it's light stuff anyway.

F2 KETTLE

azuqupuv.jpg

ysuqu3e2.jpg

The F2 here is the F2Ti, an anodised version that claims to be a little tougher. Time will tell but it does look nice.
The obvious difference, size notwithstanding, is the more traditional design, chain and handle.
Capacity is twice the F1 but size difference is minimal. I think this is the sweet spot in the range, thermo efficiently making enough for a brew, and enough to make a Pot Noodle or instant refill.
For me, it's the one.
It DOESN'T come with the bag shown, but is supplied in a bag. I consider the waterproof bag here essential because of the way I use these stoves. Ymmv.
The only other addition is the cap for the chimney. It's only purpose is to protect the bag. The one I sourced to bag the F2 is nowhere near as good/tough as the standard Storm Kettle supplied F1 Lomo bag.

3yvere7e.jpg

So, where was I?

PROS-

All these types of kettles are zero maintenance, robust, and independent of power, gas, pressures and shop bought fuels.
Fuel is abundant and free (Pine cones, dried dung for example).
Zero running costs.
It's BRITISH.

CONS-

Might not come with the bag you need. Hollow construction makes them seem bulky ( but can have its advantages).
Initial outlay can seem high (see pros).
Only boils water, not a stove as such ( imho, see first two safety rules, ymmv).

In short, outstanding. These will make you smile and save you money, go try one!!!!
Do I need three though? Not sure but if I had to choose just one, it would be the mid sized F2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
Just for clarity, here's a pic of the F2 and the brew tub etc, showing how it uses an existing space.

7uhune8y.jpg

Incedentally, not wanting to teach Granny to suck eggs, I assumed that people understood the basic operation, feeding fuel through the chimney, and filling levels for example (the water expands when it's full of bubbles from boiling).
All these details are in your instructions and on most makers websites.

Thanks. Phil.

Last edited:

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
Thanks Toddy, kind words indeed. :)

Here's the final installment showing the biggy on the boil and how the firebox does make a sweet controlled hearth for a morale boost with your cuppa.

6y7ygy2e.jpg

On the boil, note water level.

qa2eje6u.jpg

Aaaand rest.

8a7yju3a.jpg

Thanks for reading folks, it's been fun to write!!!

Fantastic review :) I toyed with the idea of getting one for a while before I came to the conclusion a wood gas stove would probably be better for my needs, doesn't mean I rule out getting one to play with later on however ;)

Thanks for writing, I really enjoyed reading it! :)

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I have the stainless steel Kelly kettle. I've only used it a few times the the garden so far but I totally agree with all your points about it.
I have a 1lt version.
On my old gas stove I could boil a pint of water in 10 mins in an aluminium kettle.
With the Kelly kettle I can start a fire, boil the water, make a brew and pack the Kelly kettle away.

If you have somewhere to tip out the fire, and you hold the base with pliers, you can wave it around and it will be cool enough to pack away in a few moments.

Great bit of kit.
I'm thinking of getting the F1 shown in the review above.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
SWMBO bought me one for Christmas. Don't carry it in the pack but brilliant for the canoe and the back of the car. The stove of choice for the base camp - especially with the coolest.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a storm F1ti and regularly use it with a meths burner under it.
I also use it with the wild woodgas stove but the F2 fits perfectly on top.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
My F1ti does just two cups and is small enough to pack away with the water already in. Also when used with meths burner
i don't need to worry about fuel being damp or having to look for any as well as been able to use it almost anywhere.

The he smaller ones do have a place and wouldn't be without mine.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Correct with the wire stand removed. The first vid is with my original stove the second is owned by the guy who filmed both vids.
Noticed the second video it's the F1 kettle on there.
Thinking of selling my F3 to get an F2.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
Would the F2 fit on this stove or just the F1?

I can thoroughly recommend the F2. I modded mine since the pic by fitting a rope handle and an F1 jacket. I took off the handle and chain/bung. It's now nearly as compact as the F1!!
pics to follow.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The first video is actually a mk1 stove and an F2 kettle. It fits into the top of the stove perfectly where the pot stand fits
if you put the pot stand in it funnels the flame a little and makes it even more stable.

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
Here's my modded F2.
Note, F1 jacket fits nice. Bung is now a cap, not watertight but I don't store with water in. It'll keep bugs out.

u2e9e4et.jpg

asyvazu3.jpg

ubabuhu5.jpg

Very compact to store now and it also doesn't rattle and scratch the Ti surface.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE