choosing a new bergen

Jan 2, 2011
todmorden
hi! first post, been landing on this forum from google results for quite a while and finally got round to registering.

i have been into bushcraft as long as i can remember, increasingly so lately due to new arthritis drugs meaning i can get out more.

so i'm looking for a new bergen something in the 80-150L range that's nice and heavy 4-5KG~ for trips from a few days to a few weeks.

the reason i want such a large bergen for short trips is my style of bushcraft if you like is to take heavy kit, not lots of kit just heavy and durable kit. i found that when i used to go for light gear that stuff would fail/break or the extra fiddlyness of some of the light gear was more hassle than carrying the extra weight. to give an example my thermarest while a lot smaller than a karrimat had me slipping off it if i was at even a slight angle in the tent and when i use it in my hammock it takes me ages to get it into position and i always wake up with it to the side of me doing nothing in the morning, even if i almost completely deflate it. another example would be my sleeping bag, i have a 3 season snugpak which i have now replaced with an old military thing weighing about 4.5kg, its about 6x the weight but the heavy duty build means it isnt full of rips, the central zip while not as heat efficient makes entry into a hammock so much easier and if im cold when i get into it i warm up a lot faster and get a much better nights sleep. with that said i am looking for a bergen to carry about 35-50lbs but i would to be able to take maybe 75lbs for longer trips. i am 6'2" and have short legs and a long back so fitting wise i would say i am more like 6'4" :) i am looking at something like the sabre 80-130, lowe alpine saracen, berghaus vulcan and also the web-tex ultimax. any thoughts on any of these bags or anything similar would be most appreicated.

thanks

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Go to a good camping store or a meet and try some Bergens on with weight in.
There are some good reviews on YouTube too.

I have just bought a Karrimor 60-100 and a 80-130,still in the testing stage, but so far so good!

PREPER........ :)

Jan 2, 2011
todmorden
Go to a good camping store or a meet and try some Bergens on with weight in.
There are some good reviews on YouTube too.

I have just bought a Karrimor 60-100 and a 80-130,still in the testing stage, but so far so good!

there are no local shops that stock any of them, only shop i found was millets and they dont have the sack im looking at in store.

can you tell me how the sabre expands by 50 litres? looking at pictures and video of it i cant get my head around how it can get that much bigger...

There are a few Berghaus Vulcans with a long (size 4) back on Ebay at a reasonable price new.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Berghaus-Vulc...cks_Bags_EH&hash=item27b7a2875a#ht_500wt_1156

No connection with seller etc.

yeah i saw them, very good price.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive got a vulcan and a sabre 80-130 which im about to give to my brother had it two years and never used it dont likey! much prefer the vulcan, although we are all differant etc,defo if you can, try on or at least handle in the flesh before buying if you can.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Weetsei,

The Karrimor 80-130 and 60-100 (almost identical except the size) have an extra couple of zips running along the side, when you unzip them it expands!
There are a few good reviews on YouTube. Type in karrimor Sabre 60 100.
RVOPs also do a comparison video of the Bergens you are considering.
I know people who prefer the Vulcan or Saracen, you really need to try one before you spent your cash,

Hope this helps,

Jan 2, 2011
todmorden
thanks, yes i would of really liked to try them all before i buy, i have just bought one of the vulcans off ebay, he accepted my offer for £90.

if its good then great, if its not i will sell it on and give the sabre a go i think.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
thanks, yes i would of really liked to try them all before i buy, i have just bought one of the vulcans off ebay, he accepted my offer for £90.

if its good then great, if its not i will sell it on and give the sabre a go i think.

He accepted my offer too!
I now have another Bergen to field test.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE