Choosing a cheap light tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wemago

Jul 10, 2015
Everywhere
Thanks for the replies. I have the Coleman cobra 2 which is 2.05kg (any tips about pegs or poles to reduce weight?), but the color of it doesn't allow me to go somewhat stealth (which is a must here where I live since wild camping is illegal) and I think is a bit to big (outer shell) for what I want. Between bivy and one man tent, I personally prefer the second for different reasons, I'm more than used to small spaces ( I do a lot of caving ) but if I can have a bit of air space why not then?

I have a Deuter 38L and the goal is to pack it under 15kg. Part of it will be filled by dslr + lens + tripod, this three go up to 3.5kg, sleeping bag (600g), air mat (700g), stove (80g), 3L water (bag+bottle). Still missing backup clothes and food.

That's why I'm looking at 1.5kg tents. I think that buying better poles and pegs would make this tents a little bit better and lighter, around 1,3kg maybe?

Right now I have a low budged and that's why I'm looking under £55.

Opinions?

P.S - those luxe minipeaks look really nice!

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I have a Zephyros 2 and they can regularly be picked up for £75-85 new. I also have a Luxe Sil Hexpeak. Out of the box, I would trust the Zephyros more than the SHP as it needs more guying points but the new 2015 version may have addressed that, however it is twice the price of the Zephy. SHP is lighter at 1.4kg.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
What conditions are you wanting to use the tent in? Personally I would be looking at things like the Sil Minipeak, or the Lux Hexpeak etc...

J

wemago

Jul 10, 2015
Everywhere
Does anyone knows where can I get Hi Gear Soloista besides the gooutdoors website? They don't ship and this tent seems perfect. Low profile, somewhat stealth color, two inner doors. I will be replacing poles and pegs for better and lighter ones.

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
It's a clone tent bud, re-branded by many "manufacturers". Also Google Blackthorn 1 and Gelert Solo. Loads of places deliver it.

Are you sure you want a tent you can't sit up in. After being rained in for 8 hrs you might be ready to sit, or just getting dressed is so much easier when you can sit.

gelert-solo-tent-quick-glance-and-review_100103.jpg

Last edited:

wemago

Jul 10, 2015
Everywhere
It's a clone tent bud, re-branded by many "manufacturers". Also Google Blackthorn 1 and Gelert Solo. Loads of places deliver it.

Are you sure you want a tent you can't sit up in. After being rained in for 8 hrs you might be ready to sit, or just getting dressed is so much easier when you can stand.

View attachment 36732

The Hi Gear soloista it is not a rebrand, there are some differences being the main one the two inner doors which the others you mentioned don't have and for me its important. I don't mind do be in a place where I can't sit up, I'm used to it. I don't get those complains regarding the sit up situation when many people use bivys...

Jul 20, 2015
UK
I've had great success with Six Moons Lunar Solo LE, super light weight. Around 800g can't member exact weight. The optional two extra guy ropes I would say are pretty much essential though. But can make them out of anything you want, gives you a lot more headroom.
And you can't complain about lack of ventilation. Just lakeside your sleeping bag is rated for the temps you need. It's surprisingly spacey for such a lightweight one man tent and not badly priced either.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SoloLE.html

And you have the money for a bit extra it can be even lighter.
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html

Podcast Bob

It is a fine balance between space, weight and price and the Luxe Hexpeak range does give people different ideas on how to use it as life changes, people/girlfriends join you or you go with a group maybe?

You've got the V4 mentioned above, then you have the larger F6 which can also use the solo inner from the V4, which gives you even more free space and then there's the huge Octapeak F8, which comes with an inner big enough for 4 people, but will also take one or TWO V4 inners and still leave space.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Depending on budget take a look at Tarptent, they will ship anywhere. Scarp 2 is in your weight range and gives you that extra space.

[video=youtube;k7KHBrkdrL0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7KHBrkdrL0[/video]

http://www.tarptent.com/

About two hundread and twenty quid, four season, good reviews.

quidditys_shore

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Middlesbrough
I'm into camping on a budget! So much so I'm getting a collection of tents lol
I got the argos pro action hike lite (follow up to the tiger paws) for £15 5 years ago & it's fantastic. Plenty of space for me & my kit & able to sit up in it.... Just!
But it's bright orange so I'd been watching out for a replacement & got a yellowstone matterhorn from Amazon for £20.... Don't buy it! It's terrible! They never made it outdoors! Test set up indoors saw the poles split on first use.... On 3 different tents! Finally got my money back & bought an aldi 1 man tent for £15. It's actually made by adventuridge (who made the yellowstone matterhorn) & looks exactly the same but the poles are far better. So worth checking out if there's any left (aldi customer services can let you know what store stock is).

However I was extremely surprised to check my ebay saved searches one day & find a brand new tiger paws for £16 delivered! So now have that as well! Haha

Just found this one that didn't sell recently. Maybe contact the buyer to come to a deal?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121747880010&alt=web

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
If you really want lightweight you'll probably have to spend more money

Totally agree. You can have it light, you can have it robust and you can have it cheap - chose any two. Single Lightweight tents at that price are not going to be that lightweight, or they are going to be pretty flimsy. You get what you pay for. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy them - £24 for a tent is very good! However, how long it lasts is another matter.

Personally, I went for the Zephyros 2, because it gave the best ratio of weight to cost. It weights 1.81kg (although you can cut that a little by replacing lines, etc), and sleeps one person in comfort. And thats the other thing - do you really want a one person tent? I find them basically OK if you have no kit, and you dont breath much.

Cotswolds currently has the Zephryos 1 for £99, and its weights 1.57kg. Have a look at Outdoor Magic and see if there are any more suggestions. The other thing you can go is to look for deals - closing down sales, end of seasn, etc. You might get better than you'd normally expect for a certain sum. Millets keep emailing me with offers, so have a look there.

Or go tarp - Alpkit's Rig 7 is very popular.

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
Clearly with all that already in a 38L sack, you want to be thinking about pack size as well as weight. I currently use a Snugpak Ionosphere for that reason - packs down to nowt, weighs 1.25 kg stripped. Unfortunately they are over £100 new, but you can find them cheaper. Anyway, the dimensions are similar to the various Gelert, Blackthorns etc and I find it plenty big enough for you and kit (I'm six foot btw).

Another idea: I used to carry a Wild Country Coshee2 - which is MASSIVE for one, but a great tent nonetheless. Wild Country have just released the Coshee Micro which I've seen for £72 new. Tiny, solid, light, comparatively cheap AND can be used without inner, like a tarp should the mood take you.

Imagnu

May 12, 2014
Oxford
+1 for the Zephros tents from Wild Country (owned by Terra Nova). I've used the 1 man for a 3 day trip including some heavy rain & strong winds in the Lake District. The footprint is the same for the 1 and 2 man with different ratios of living/storage space. Best weight/price compromise imo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE