Choosing a cheap light tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wemago

Jul 10, 2015
Everywhere
Hey there everyone!

I've got a Coleman Cobra 2 but I'm thinking in getting an solo tent, what would be your advise?

I could use the cobra but I really need something packed small and light since I enjoy doing three day hikes/treks where I take my dslr and do some photography and I use a 38L Deuter backpack. I'll be doing this in four seasons with mid to high rain and mid winds.

I'm thinking about the Gelert Track 1 / Solo. I've read that the biggest problem its the poles, so I was thinking changing them to alloy and replace the pegs for alloy pegs to make it lighter. Is is a good idea? Do you think that this would help to lower cobra weight?

Cobra 2:
packed: 48 x 18 cm
weights: 2.05kg (according to the manufacturer)
inner: 3000 mm
outer: 5000 mm

Gelert Track:
packed: 39 x 12 cm
weights: 1.5kg (according to the manufacturer)
inner: 170T
outer: 190T
hydrostatic head: 3000mm

Highlander Blackthorn:
packed: 38 x 15 cm
weights: 1.5kg (according to the manufacturer)
inner: 190T
outer: 190T
hydrostatic head: 2000mm

Any idea / help?

Thanks

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You can make tent pegs when you get there.

If you really want lightweight you'll probably have to spend more money.

I've tried a few solo tents and the ventilation has always been useless. I get wetter in the tent than if I slept in the open.
If I use them now it's only like a fishing shelter, probably with a tarp over as a large porch.

Not using a tent at all will be lighter.

wemago

Jul 10, 2015
Everywhere
Thanks for your reply ged but I already went tarp but the weather here is to rough, we have four seasons in one day, and I have my dslr with me, that's why I'm trying to find out a solo tent.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
If the weather is that bad you'd be safer in the long term taking something more sturdy and accepting the extra weight.

Light, strong, cheap - pick any two and it will not be the third option!

wemago

Jul 10, 2015
Everywhere
Has anyone seen or tested Coleman Aravis 2? It packs small but it is 2.5kg, do you think that by replacing poles and pegs could get closer to 1.7/1.8kg? Don't like the light green color, I don't know why Coleman does this. Its like the cobra with blue color...Want something that can be some what stealth color.

The goal is under 1.6kg and packed around 39x15cm

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Life gets bloody grim when your stuck in a small solo tent and its raining cats and dogs, I'd say to the OP, save your coins and get a lightweight two man tent.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi you should check out the hi-gear soloist tent from go outdoors. I used it for a bit before switching to hammocking and can defo recommend it as a small and lightweight tent. It's an evolution (eg: better design) of the gelert solo tent and can be bought pretty cheaply (as much as £20 when on offer). It packs down to something that is smaller than a loaf of bread and weighs 1.5kg(ish). The quality is good considering how cheap it is and I used it one some very cold, wet and rainy camps during the previous winter and was quite warm and dry! Check out a review of it on youtube by a channel called 'food4adventure'

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Life gets bloody grim when your stuck in a small solo tent and its raining cats and dogs, I'd say to the OP, save your coins and get a lightweight two man tent.

Best ever cheap lightweight tent I ever found was the pro action tiger paws tent I found in a charity shop for the princely sum of three pounds. They used to be available in Argos over the summer but I think they are called something else now. I found it really cosy in a storm and if pitched right can withstand one heck of a battering. Just about room for me to sit up in it, but that is enough. I use it with a tarp pitched over it as a shelter to sit under with a camping chair.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Love those DD superlight but haven't managed to find a company that ships it over here.

As a small businessman i reckon bob from backpackinglight (my link above) would ship wherever you wanted :D
as you might imagine, He's got some very good lightweight stuff on his site.....well worth a good browse through

Also agree with rik above. Tiny solo tents arent much fun for waiting out bad weather

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
So your after essentially a rain and wind shelter ? If you take a tarp already, how about just a bivvy bag in a shelter like a luxe minipeak? Being able to sit up when it's raining is an advantage.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Personally, I hate one man tents, since they seem to be just big enough to lay down(but dont breathe very much) and have a very tiny amount of kit with you. Thats why I bought a Zephyros 2. However, if your going down the 1 man route, I'd repeat the old adage, 'you can have it cheap, you can have it light, and you can have it good - pick any two'. In fact I'd add to that 'you get what you pay for'. Coleman isn't an exciting brand, its not the most expensive either, but at least the build quality will be OK, considering the price point. But if your spending perhaps £24 (in the case of the Gelert) and £35 (for the Highlander, which seems to be a rebranded Gelert Solo), what are you getting for your money?

True, the old Tiger Paws was fantastic value (although there are a fair number of modding threads for it around, so you did need to work at it to get it right), and there are some decent reviews for the Highlander, but someone also noted 'cramped and not that waterproof'. Cheap is not cheap, expensive is not expensive.

I'd spend more on something decent, yet light. The Zephyros 1 comes in at about 1.57kg, and is normally around £120, but does come in cheaper at times (Cotswold has it at £99). Millets have a tent sale on at the moment, and there is the Blacks Octane 1 (ok, with a bright yellow fly) for £75, and weighs in at 1.67kg. The Blacks site strangely has the Octane 1 much more expensive, but the Blacks Apex Octane at £89 and 1.75kg. I'm sure there are other deals out there. I suspect if you go from the Coleman down to a gelert/Highlander, you might be a bit underwhelmed, especially if its three days out in during all four seasons. The Vango isn't a bad choice at all, and I considered it, but for me the Zephyros was about the same price, but that bit lighter.

Buy once, buy right.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE